Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Using a Millermatic Challenger 172 for TIG welding

I no longer have a tig power supply. I had one borrowed but the owner needed it. I have a Millermatic Challenger 172 that does a great job of mig welding. I bought it used with a Spoolmatic gun and SGA-100c adaptor that was set up for welding aluminum and love it. What I want to do is use the 172 for a tig power supply. I only need to tig a few times a year and do not want to invest in a stand alone tig machine. Does anyone see a problem with this? I can connect the tig torch the same as the Spoolmatic gun. I would need to rig a switch to replace the trigger switch on my mig gun. Any thoughts appreciated. John D

I cannot tell you why but it is the wrong type of power source.MIG is constant voltage stick and TIG are constant current.

Simply put .... NOT HAPPENING....

Don't we all wish

I think you can use the 720 for tig wielding but while connecting the tig torch, be aware about the polarities as the tig torch has to be connected on the negative pole and the other pole is grounded. Kindly check this fact before connecting the torch.