Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default problem with distributor on 1970 Miller big 40 please help.

I pulled the distributor it out of my 1970 Miller big 40 with a Continental F 163 motor in it. I installed the new distributor , but now when cranking over the motor the rotor isn't spinning. It spins for a slight second then stops or if I pulled the distributor out slightly it will spin properly. Then when I tighten the distributor down again the rotor stop spinning again. Not sure what the problem is if you have any information I'd appreciate the help thanks

That sure doesn't sound right. I am not too familiar with the Continental but have worked on a engine or two. Does the distributer look to be the same, as in length from mounting pad to the gear? I am assuming these are gear driven off the cam and it sounds like the gear is not enguaging correcty. I would compare old alongside new for a minute so see if any differances. On some enginse you could also acctually install (pin) the drive gear upside down on the shaft.
    Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
    Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Fits into a knotch on your oil pump shaft, perhaps the knotch is busted off

No it fits into the knotch its not broke on the oil pump and oil pump is spinning. I can see the key spinning when i crank the motor by hand.

The dist shaft is one piece, sooooo, if the pump shaft is spinning, so is the dist shaft. Dist shaft broken?

A few questions.

1) Why did you replace the distributor in the first place?
    2) Have you had the oil pump out lately?
    3) Does the engine build oil pressure when cranking?

Possibly a sheared driven gear to oil pump shaft pin?
    Last edited by duaneb55; 10-15-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Okay yes the shaft is 1 piece go straight to the oil pump to the distributor. the distributor is brand new so I don't think the shaft is broken. it spins perfectly fine if I pull the distributor out of the manifold a little bit. once I tighten it down it stop spinning. I don't think it had a spacer didn't see 1 when I pulled the old 1. Pull distributor because the housing was cracked. And yes I have had the oil pump out recently. Can see it's a little pressure is building when starting welder gauges on the side of welder will check that tomorrow . Also don't think you're is shredded because can see oil pump shaft spinning when cranking over the motor if I look down the distributor hole.

I talked to both you and cruisers hey couple weeks ago about trying to get the distributor out of the intake manifold. You told me to drop the oil pump and drive it out from the bottom. And cruiser told me to yard the head which I didn't know what that meant at first. so I drop the oil pump and tried driving it out gonna get it. So I pulled the head distributor stayed in the head. Wind it up have to drive it out of the head but finally got it put it all back together and this is where I'm at.

There is a pin that locks the drive cam gear from the oil pump onto the oil pump shaft. Thats what Duane was talking about. And thats the only part that would stop the dist shaft from spinning.

Default To tight.

I would bet something is wrong when it went back together, and snapped the pin in the drive, the reason it turns when the dist is loose there is little resitance, Once tight the restiance goes up. Do this, remove the dist, use a piece of rod, grind down the rod to fit into the oil pump, Insert, now turn the motor over by hand while holding the rod with a pliers, see if the rod turns, bet it wont.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck