Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-mode helmet

Default X-mode helmet

I just bought one of Millers new Elite Auto darkening helmets. I have a 180 mig that I use in the shop for repairs. I have read the instructions several times and still don't understand X-Mode. I read on another forum where a guy always set his helmet on X-mode when welding?????
    Thanks

I always use X mode when using that hood too. The sensor somehow senses the arc electromagnetically. Supposedly it's good for low-amp tigging.

I like my Digital Elite, but when I really want to see clearly what's going on, nothing beats a conventional (non autodark) hood.

Guess I just need to try X-mode and see if it works for me. I just wanted to make sure it won't hurt anything.
    Last edited by Gary Max; 10-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.

The X mode is for welding outside so it doesn't darken with sunlight unless you look at the sun. It only gets dark when welding otherwise it stays as a green tint

I joined this site whit the hopes of having someone from Miller---ie---expert chime in with the pros and cons of this.
    I spent the big bucks on the Elite Helment because my eye's still work and I really want to keep the that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    I joined this site whit the hopes of having someone from Miller---ie---expert chime in with the pros and cons of this.
    I spent the big bucks on the Elite Helment because my eye's still work and I really want to keep the that way.
    The Miller guys chime in from time to time on serious problems or customer service issues.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Default X-mode helmet

Its great for out of position welding where u may not be in direct flash of the arc to trigger the sensors.

The technology is on the helmet to circumvent the sensors and instead trigger the helmet by the pull of the trigger or the press of the pedal.

I use xmode when tigging. No particular reason just do. Never get flashed

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    The Miller guys chime in from time to time on serious problems or customer service issues.

I spent $2,500.00 bucks last month buying new Miller welding tools and would think using the helmet safely would fall under serious customer service.

In weld mode the helmet relys on the sensors on the front of the helmet to detect the arc. In X-mode the helmet senses the magnetic field created by the welding arc and doesn't rely of the sensors to see the arc. When using low amp tig or welding under bright lights are two examples of were the X-mode would be beneficial. It is different modes for different applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    I spent $2,500.00 bucks last month buying new Miller welding tools and would think using the helmet safely would fall under serious customer service.
    Your original post states that you don't understand x-mode. You call that a serious customer service issue?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52