Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller Bobcat Three Phase Motor Run Speed Issues

I have a Bobcat Three Phase with a Kohler CH20s engine. I am having an issue where the motor is running way too fast. I have gone through the steps of adjusting the governor and adjusting the run speed as prescribed in the manual with no success. I can manual move the governor arm over and drop the rpms to acceptable levels but it does not move on its on. My thoughts are it may be the internal portion of the governor that is not operational.

However, in the run-idle position, the motors does not come down to idle position without manually moving the governor arm.

Its running at such a high speed it has melted the wire going to the large R2 resistor mounted on the upright.

Any trouble shooting ideas before I tear into the motor?

Did you not adjust the adjuster arm left of the exhaust, with the 3/8" nut and lock nut. Or did you move the govenor spring which is definately a no, no...

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Did you not adjust the adjuster arm left of the exhaust, with the 3/8" nut and lock nut. Or did you move the govenor spring which is definately a no, no...
    I adjusted the nut and locknut. I did not move the govenor spring from the #3 hole in the arm. I actually adjusted the nut so loose there was no tension on the governor spring at all, with still no decrease in engine speed.

OK, I guess you'll have to remove the engine. Engine removal for you should take all day
    Last edited by cruizer; 10-04-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: wrong directions

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused on one part. I'm unsure if the shaft is threaded or not. My serial number is LE114xxx. Is there a range of serial numbers where the shaft is tapered and will pop off as you describe?
    The below link suggests that from Serial No. LE294171 to present it is a threaded shaft.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohl.../353938134.pdf

The owners manual for my Serial number range appears to show a threaded shaft. Is there an easy way to identify the shaft type before I start. I don't want to be prying on the stator housing to hard trying to pop it off, if its a threaded shaft.

I suppose you could be correct, the TB and such just pop off, apparently yours doesn't, so lucky you! Thats alotta work!
    Last edited by cruizer; 10-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Does anyone know the range of serial numbers where the Kohler shaft is tapered or threaded?

Going to have to give up that full SN if you expect much help.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Going to have to give up that full SN if you expect much help.
    Sure.....Serial #LE114389

Yep, follow the disassembly instructions for that machine, you'll have to remove the generator and engine together. doesn't look terribly hard though.