Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Think I found a winner

Different Miller Thunderbolt XL found. It's an AC / DC unit. A few years old but here is a picture. Diff. question for you all this time though! What would you pay for it if the leads were missing - stinger/ground clamp vs what would you pay for it complete!

my target is $200 but would be willing to go with $250 - no leads under $200 - is that ridiculous?!

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

A nice one just sold on ebay for $300 another one for $400. This one the case is kinda beat up. Make sure it works. Is it missing just the ground & stinger or the cables also? Depending on the size cable is about $2.00/3.00 a foot I think plus another $20/25 each for a work clamp & electrode holder. That will add up quick.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Yep, that's the welder you're looking for.
    It looks like the leads are on it. If all you need is the stinger and ground clamp you should be able to get those for under $50.00 easy.

Make sure it works! plug it in and check it in each position. If there's nothing on the ends of the leads just fire it up and smack the two ends of the leads together quickly. If it makes sparks it's working. IMO, $200-250 is a reasonable and fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by ihctractor View Post
    Yep, that's the welder you're looking for.
    It looks like the leads are on it. If all you need is the stinger and ground clamp you should be able to get those for under $50.00 easy.

Make sure it works! plug it in and check it in each position. If there's nothing on the ends of the leads just fire it up and smack the two ends of the leads together quickly. If it makes sparks it's working. IMO, $200-250 is a reasonable and fair price.
    Great. Thanks - I am feeling good about this one. I think that getting to $250 ought not to be a problem - esp. if I have to get the stinger and and clamp. The leads are there - I was given a picture of a connector at the end of the lead. So - is that going to be like touching the ends of some jumper cables - with the ends smacking together...?

Now - if he can find the stinger and ground clamp - firing it up and not having any rods to run - same 'general' test? just touching the stinger metal to something else metal for a spark?

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    A nice one just sold on ebay for $300 another one for $400. This one the case is kinda beat up. Make sure it works. Is it missing just the ground & stinger or the cables also? Depending on the size cable is about $2.00/3.00 a foot I think plus another $20/25 each for a work clamp & electrode holder. That will add up quick.
    Thx. I'm pretty sure he'll find the stinger/clamp. Else - it comes off the negotiated price in my opinion. Hoping to hear back some positive news tonight about it....

Certainly hope that wasn't a Craigslist ad...gone by now.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    So - is that going to be like touching the ends of some jumper cables - with the ends smacking together...?
    ...... firing it up and not having any rods to run - same 'general' test?
    Yes! Nice thing about transformer units is they either work or they don't, no in between. If the unit is complete and it makes sparks, it's a working unit.
    BTW if the welder is on, the fan should be running.

Hi John where is the welder located? We can hook up my leeds and run some beads if you like to. Call me if you want to do this i'll bring some rods.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    Hi John where is the welder located? We can hook up my leeds and run some beads if you like to. Call me if you want to do this i'll bring some rods.
    Thanks for the offer Joe - but I'll be picking this welder up out of state hopefully this weekend while on a little trip. So far it all looks good - welder still available and should the leads not be found have agreed to a lower price. The unit is getting tested tonight - and I expect to run it at the time of purchase too.

Pick up the cheap harbor freight ground clamp and stinger. Take them with and put them on. You can always take them back.