Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default cutting problems

I'm having problems cutting with my torch. I'm cutting 16 guage sheet metal. As I'm cutting, the material is melting back onto the cut as I move along the cutting line. I've tried lowering the gas and or oxygen and keep getting the same results. When I cut thicker metal I don't see this problem is 16 guage material just too thin for a torch? Should I just use a cutting wheel on a grinder? Any help is appreciated.

Default cutting problems

It's too thin or your moving too slow. Try turning the torch into the direction and cut it quickly. Good luck.

it takes practice, try laying the torch almost flat, move quick and keep feathering the oxy lever, watch where you cut, while laying the torch flat you can cut quite a distance if not paying attention

I had this problem the other day. You have to tilt in the direction of travel. What I found works for me too is if you turn up your oxygen it gives just a little more umph to push the metal away and keep it out of the kerf.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottis1 View Post
    It's too thin or your moving too slow. Try turning the torch into the direction and cut it quickly. Good luck.
    +1
    Point into the cut and increase your travel speed.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 70

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 145