Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cities requiring a weld inspector for inspections.

I've been a Portable Welder for almost 25 years now along with owning a general welding shop. ( Meaning I have to know how to weld everything that walks through the door)

I have a 3-G AWS D1.1 cert.

Alot of what I do is repair and rebuild new stair ways, Platforms, wall ladders, Decks, railings, Fire escapes etc.

When I pull my permits I have to use sealed engineered drawings for these projects.

What I'm starting to see is that some of the city inspectors are requiring my weld certification ( Which is normal ) and also want a CWI certified welding inspector also to come inspect my welds which is an additional $ 400.00
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

The problem I have is the inspector wants the welds perfect like we are welding high pressure pipe and does'nt have the ability to understand that if the same structure was made out of wood a 2 x 6 cross member might have 3 nails in it while my cross member is 3" channel so I have 3" of vertical weld on both sides and about 2-1/2" of horizontal weld which exceeds the strength of 3 nails by at least 20 times.

He then starts looking at the sheet metal toe kick plate and I have to say to him that it is not really a structural part of the stair.( Its to keep a baby or a small child from being able to fall through the 5" gap between the steps) On this peice I have 4welds 1" long across the bottom and 4 welds across the top.

Just wondering if you other business owners are starting to see where the cities dont want to take responsibility so they make you spend alot of money on secondary inspectors.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this inspection was for a 3 story stairwell with mid landing, railings etc. I did a total tear out and complete rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I've been a Portable Welder for almost 25 years now along with owning a general welding shop. ( Meaning I have to know how to weld everything that walks through the door)

I have a 3-G AWS D1.1 cert.

Alot of what I do is repair and rebuild new stair ways, Platforms, wall ladders, Decks, railings, Fire escapes etc.

When I pull my permits I have to use sealed engineered drawings for these projects.

What I'm starting to see is that some of the city inspectors are requiring my weld certification ( Which is normal ) and also want a CWI certified welding inspector also to come inspect my welds which is an additional $ 400.00

__________________________________________________ _____________________

The problem I have is the inspector wants the welds perfect like we are welding high pressure pipe and does'nt have the ability to understand that if the same structure was made out of wood a 2 x 6 cross member might have 3 nails in it while my cross member is 3" channel so I have 3" of vertical weld on both sides and about 2-1/2" of horizontal weld which exceeds the strength of 3 nails by at least 20 times.

He then starts looking at the sheet metal toe kick plate and I have to say to him that it is not really a structural part of the stair.( Its to keep a baby or a small child from being able to fall through the 5" gap between the steps) On this peice I have 4welds 1" long across the bottom and 4 welds across the top.

Just wondering if you other business owners are starting to see where the cities dont want to take responsibility so they make you spend alot of money on secondary inspectors.

It is their money. Add the fees into the quote.

Griff

I am covered for the 1st inspection fee but I was failed so he wants a $ 200.00 reinspection fee, The customer wont pay for that not to mention having to go back and wrap the weld around the channel in a couple of spots where I didd'nt carry all the way out to the toes of the channel x 1/16" of an inch.

I could totally remove the mentioned channel and you probally would'nt notice it missing because my cross members are on approximately 18" centers and they have a pc. of 3/16" diamond plate going across them.

Infact, You could easily drive a car across the 3" channel that is missing 1/16" of weld and it would hold the weight without question and all I have to worry about is at most 2 guys that weigh 300 lbs each or the weight of a refriderator on a hand truck slamming down the stairs.

What I'm trying to explain is that I have enouph weld to hold a 10,000 lb. Hilo when at most it will have the weight of a refriderator.

Default third party weld inspection

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    It is their money. Add the fees into the quote.

Griff
    because were run by the world of lawyers, the city inspectors want an outside welding inspector to provide a buffer zone between the city and a lawsuit if someone gets hurt on a city-inspected fire escape. probably because the city inspectors basicly don't know what they are evaluating and have no common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cws612 View Post
    because were run by the world of lawyers, the city inspectors want an outside welding inspector to provide a buffer zone between the city and a lawsuit if someone gets hurt on a city-inspected fire escape. probably because the city inspectors basicly don't know what they are evaluating and have no common sense.
    I work with some city inspectors and they themselves are also personally liable if there is a problem - not just the city. Still sucks that someone who knows what they are doing has to get something OK'ed by someone who doesn't

Just learn what the inspector likes to see. Go have a sit down before you start the job. right or wrong do it his way. Ask about changes before you start welding.
    My son the building designer/contractor works with his inspector this way.
    Half the time they walk on the job site say HI checks a couple of things, ask how somethings are going to be done and signs off on the job. Of course he does things the way they want to see it. Try to work with the different inspectors and they will give you a lot less problems down the line.( unless he is just one of those ______)
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

As far as inspectors go this particular city has 4-5 inspectors, But I work in several different cities so I'm always dealing with different inspectors.

As far as a CWI, This is the first time I have actually had to hire this guy.

This may sound harsh but that's not my intention. I think it is a mistake to expect an inspector to be more lenient because it's not a boiler tube or a frac-tower.

As far as I know, any weld that supports human beings is subject to the same standards as a weld in a refinery on a vessel or transmission piping as far as visual inspection goes. I don't think the standards are the same for a stairwell as regards UT or X-Ray but I'm pretty sure the visual is held to the same expectation and they may even do a mag-particle.

I treat every weld exactly the same way no matter what it is. I weld it like I have to pass visual, MT, UT and X-Ray. The truth is hurrying (or just not paying attention) is slower than doing it right. If I have to go back and fix something or even worse, reweld it, it takes more time in the long run than just doing it right the first time.

Failing sucks, particularly if it costs money and I can empathise with the frustration but failures are how we learn. Even old veterans can still learn something sometimes. I bet you won't make that mistake again, right? Once we get to the other side of an experience then we can see the good in these small setbacks.

I say swallow your pride and do what it takes to fix it even if it means opening your wallet again.

There was no arguing and yes I'm having my 2 welders to go back and fully weld everything they missed which was very little and yes it is hurting the pocket book.

The 2nd part of this post is do you business owners see a trend of the cities wanting a secondary inspection to obsolve themselves of any liability.