Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default need advice on welding a cast iorn stove leg

Have a cast iorn stove leg that has a chunk broken out. Any recomendations? Have a Millermatic 210, a Syncrowave 180 and a dynastey 200 DX. Can post some pictures tommorrow if it will help.
    Harold
    Harold
    Craftsman Colormatic AC
    Victor Journyman Setup
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM210 With Spoolgun
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
    Miller HD Tape Measure

I don't know if you can still get it but there used to be a such thing as a nickle SMAW electrode for welding black cast iron. Seems to me I used to hear that it had hit-or-miss results usually due to cracking. Preheat is critical. Haven't heard anybody mention it in years. Most people braze cast iron with brass. There are youtube vids out there showing how it's done. You can also fusion weld cast iron with a gas torch and that's pretty much the best method but it's also the slowest as you have to weld it like a conventional weld with bevel prep and a lot of material deposit and a lot of powdered flux you dip the iron filler rod into periodically. It's hot, hot, hot and slooooooow.

I'd just braze it with a O/A torch and then paint it to cover the repair.

I agree, Braze it.

Cool

Get some Crown Alloys 44-30 .035 mig wire for cast iron and use your MM210. Any gas CO2, 75/25 or Argon will work well with it. Then you will have some wire left for the next job ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I would preheat, use a nickle rod then cool slowly- like wrap with insulation.

Good nickel welding rod is not available anymore. Brazing with brass will work, but brazing with bronze on cast-iron is the best. I use a nickel bronze rod made by Harris. We also use bronze to buildup the drive gears on Steam Tractors, and have never had a problem with a failure, unlike when others use an arc welder.
    Jeff Lund
    Lund Machine Works
    www.lundmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Get some Crown Alloys 44-30 .035 mig wire for cast iron and use your MM210. Any gas CO2, 75/25 or Argon will work well with it. Then you will have some wire left for the next job ...Bob
    I would have to agree with Bob. Since you have a MM210 the easiest fix would be to mig it with Crown Alloys 44-33. Bob has had good success with this process in the past. Post some pictures before and after.
    Good luck,
    Nick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]each[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]eachSlice[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]all[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]any[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]collect[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]detect[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]findAll[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]select[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]grep[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]include[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]member[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]inGroupsOf[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]inject[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]invoke[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]max[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]min[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]partition[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]pluck[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]reject[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]sortBy[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]toArray[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]entries[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]zip[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]size[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]inspect[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]find[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]_reverse[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]_each[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]clear[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]first[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]last[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]compact[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]flatten[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]without[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]uniq[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]intersect[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]clone[/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Final recieved the crown royal 44-30 pricey but worth it, next question; can this be used to weld cast iron to wrought iron or do i need to cut up a old cast iron frying pan
    Harold PS hopefully I posted a few pictures
    Harold
    Craftsman Colormatic AC
    Victor Journyman Setup
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM210 With Spoolgun
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
    Miller HD Tape Measure

This ones easy braze it. Pre-heat around 200f. Wells with a nickle rod 55. Wrap with insulation tightly and let it cool over night. Don't peek. If you hear it crack start over. Really simple just time consuming. Good luck. ARE YOU SURE ITS CAST IRON ANS NOT CAST STEEL. THERES A BIG DIFFERENCE WHEN WELDING. CAST STEEL BEING MUCH EASIER.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#