Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding Fume Extraction Holding Arm

I had no idea how many health issues welding courses until I started looking into Fume Extraction. Particles damage the lungs. Most extraction systems don't filter the gas unless they have a charcoal filter which is an optional extra in most.
    Galvanized steel, Stainless steel and Aluminium are all bad for your health.

Even though I have a well vented work space I am still installing a fume & particle extraction system. If your space has a low ceiling like mine than you require an extraction system that removes the fumes & particles from two different locations. The particles from the arc level and the fumes above your head. That way there is only clean air below your nose.

Fumes are not just smoke but toxic gases including the shielding gas.

I am currently testing the amount of suction power required to extract particles, but with any new product there is always welding. I started welding a holding arm for the suction nozzle. It will sit up in the portal frame of my bay when not in use.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Holding arm installed tucked up into the ceiling area out of the way.
    Able to be rotated and extended to any position on the welding bench.
    Just have to fab the nozzle and it's attachment.
    I have also fixed my Tig hose to a portal frame so it also drops down from the ceiling. This gets it off the bench or floor away from red hot material. This also ends the constant fight with the heavy hose.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Well im convinced i dont like you! you have all the cool ideas, an unlimited supply of aluminum that in itself is just not fair and you seem to be a **** of a welder.Yup convinced dont like ya Just kidding, very nice as usual seems like you have a great start. So where does all the bad stuff go once evacuated from work area?

Hi Three Turbos,
    Because I don't have a charcoal filter in my shop vac, I will keep the shop vac outside the welding bay in open air. That way the bad stuff goes outside away from me to become even less parts per million. I also have to form a spark arrester for those wayward sparks that may get into the vac or lodge in the hose and melt or burn stuff.

Nice intro mate ha ha ha.
    Pretty cool
    Keep well
    Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Ji,
    I agree that fume extraction is very important, but I also worry about abrasive dust among other things. I considered fabricating a system like you are building, but it seemed like a daunting task. Here is the solution I came up with. Let me know what you think.
    http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/image.../025/25553.jpg
    Nick

Hi Kiwi,
    Yes those units are regarded as the best system for multipurpose use.
    The other unit you should consider is the down draft table.
    That is where the vac sucks all the fumes and grindings down under the table. They where designed for grinding on as well as welding on.
    There as some great you tube vids that you can take a peak at.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ8TU...eature=related

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hey Kiwi,
    Does that one have a charcoal filter?
    Are there other people in your work space that may need one as well just because they are there.

My bench is set with three walls around it, I am the only one that works in my area, I don't really grind just linish and that is done outside away from everything.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hey Kiwi,
    Does that one have a charcoal filter?
    Are there other people in your work space that may need one as well just because they are there.

My bench is set with three walls around it, I am the only one that works in my area, I don't really grind just linish and that is done outside away from everything.

Ji
    Ji sorry for the delayed reply. There is a high efficiency particulate filter that is stacked on a vapor filter. Here is a quote from their website. The great thing is it feels like air conditioning on your head and no fogging in your helmet.

3M™ Adflo™ Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) for welders. Compact, lightweight system with NiMH battery, high efficiency particulate filter, wide leather belt. The 3M Adflo PAPR has a high efficiency particulate filter that can be “stacked” onto an optional 3M™ Adflo™ Cartridge Filter (not included) for additional protection against OV/SD/CL/HC vapors. Audible and visual alarms signal low airflow and low battery charge. The 3M™ Speedglas™ Welding Helmet 9100 FX-Air features: • Flip-up assembly for grinding and prep work • 8" x 4.25" clear visor viewing area • SideWindows - Shade 5 side filters that increase peripheral vision • Ergonomic, adjustable head suspension for increased comfort, helmet stability and weight distribution • 3M™ Speedglas™ Auto-Darkening Filter 9100X with 2.1" x 4.2" viewing area • Selectable Shades 5, 8-13 and Shade 3 light state; Grinding and Tack modes • For use with all Stick, MIG, and TIG welding processes • Five-position sensitivity control • Adjustable recovery delay • Solar panel • Meets ANSI Z87.1-2010 • Storage bag, welding cap and starter kit included.
    Nick