Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Woodworker needs some help

Guys, looking for some advice.

I have the need for attaching 3/16" and 1/4" diameter sst rod in a grid pattern. Looking for a fast and reliable means to do this. With my limited knowledge of welding, it seems like if I could rig up the tips of a spot welder to have good contact on these rounds, and I could get good force to these tips, I could spot weld these joints.

Any thoughts or am I way off base with this idea?

Cool

Don't know what size spot welder you have but you may be under powered....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks Bob for the reply, but I don't have a spot welder yet. I'm just trying to get input on if a spot welder could do the job, what size I need and if two steel rods at 90 degrees have enough contact area for a spot welder to work....?

Your typical spot welder, even the 220v variety, isn't going to give you the penetration necessary for your job. About the best you could hope for would be a bond similar to that a tube of JB Weld.

I believe that if you click on the link below you'll see that the maximum capacity of a Miller 220v spot welder is 3/16". That is 3/16" TOTAL thickness for both parts added together.

If you wish to go cheap...stick welder, easy...MIG welder and precision (but far from inexpensive)...TIG welder.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/spotwelders/
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

whillyjo,

Did a real quick and dirty test with my Miller LMSW-52 on 1/4" diam stainless rod.

Pieces are about 3" long.

Tried to get good close up photos but the depth of field suffers the closer I got.

Anyway, one spot weld like this is easy. Took about 1 second.
    Drawback is that you get burn marks on the outside surfaces.
    I was sloppy so it may be better with practice.
    Trade-off is that a cleaner looking short dwell time spot weld may not be as strong as a longer one.

My LMSW-52 has 12" tongs which reduces the amperage at the tips but I had more than enough power.
    If I had held the switch down longer, I would have melted both rods.

Stainless has higher electrical resistance than carbon steel so this may make a slight difference.

I think the hardest part may to align your pieces and to hold them securely between the spot welder tips.
    May require machining a special set so they won't slip.

Anyway, hope this helps.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...__air-cooled_/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

maybe you can find something that will work for you

http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh/TWPCAT_5
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender