Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dual shield/Passport Plus

For giggles I'm trying to set-up my Passport Plus for dual shield welding ie:75/25 and .030 flux core wire. I have changed polarity,serrated drive roller and am following the parameters on the chart. Looks like a high flying seagull made a deposit.
    I have my 252 set-up the same way and get excellent results. Am I missing something here?

Where on the chart is the parameter for 75/25 gas?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Huh, dual shield doesn't change polarity, and flux core doesn't use gas, which is it,,,confused!

What is the exact brand/type of wire you're using? Are you trying to run a flux cored wire like e71t with gas and expect the same results as a true dual shield wire? BTW, "Dual shield" is an ESAB trademark for one of their products, it does not apply to any 'ol flux cored wire combined with gas shielding. Just doesn't work that way.

If you do want to run "dual shield", I've run .035" Lincoln 71m Outershield (Lincoln's equivalent to Dual-shield) in my Passport with acceptable results. It's seriously pushing the duty cycle of a 180 amp machine, but mine handled it for short runs with no ill effects. Bead size and penetration is roughly on par with what 3/32" 7018 can do and the bead appearance is gorgeous. Just don't do it for extended periods, because like I said - You are seriously pushing a Passport to it's upper limits.

I can share my parameter settings on request, but be advised that I assume no liability.
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Dual Shield is in fact a trademarked name for an ESAB range of wire but it is also a generic term commonly given to any FCAW wire that requires a shield gas be used in addition to the contents in the core of the wire. It's like Ski-Doo or Frigidaire. People still say, "After an afternoon of skidooing I took a beer out of the fridge," even though they ride an Artic-Cat and cool their food with a Whirlpool. In this situation the designation of FCAW is still correct. There is no conflict between the designations of dual-shield and flux-core. It's true that flux-core is not always dual-shield but dual-shield is still flux-core. It's not just ESAB that makes a dual shielded FCAW wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Dual Shield is in fact a trademarked name for an ESAB range of wire but it is also a generic term commonly given to any FCAW wire that requires a shield gas be used in addition to the contents in the core of the wire. It's like Ski-Doo or Frigidaire. People still say, "After an afternoon of skidooing I took a beer out of the fridge," even though they ride an Artic-Cat and cool their food with a Whirlpool. In this situation the designation of FCAW is still correct. There is no conflict between the designations of dual-shield and flux-core. It's true that flux-core is not always dual-shield but dual-shield is still flux-core. It's not just ESAB that makes a dual shielded FCAW wire.
    I'm well aware of the fact "dual-shield" is often used as a generic term for any manufacturer's FCAW-G wire, just like "Kleenex" is used generically for tissues.

To clarify - I asked specific brand/type to rule out if OP is trying to run FCAW-S wire with Gas to get FCAW-G results.

FCAW-S wire (Flux core) + shielding Gas does not make the wire "Dual Shield" (FCAW-G). Regardless of who the manufacturer is, The wire has to be specifically designed to be run with shielding gas or else it'll give poor results.

Hate to make "red" links on Miller's Forum, but article in link below sums it up well.
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...lectrodes.aspx
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    Hate to make "red" links on Miller's Forum, but ...
    Speaking of that, do you think it might be a firing offence at the Lincoln welding machine factory if, at the end of their shift, workers say, "It's Miller time!" while they're punching out their time cards?

;^)

Dual shield is a term commonly used for the wire shielded by gas. But in most general cases, the flux itself is relied on for dual shielding. This process facilitates with high wielding speed and portability, thus the generic term of dual shield is rightfully used.

Smile Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    What is the exact brand/type of wire you're using? Are you trying to run a flux cored wire like e71t with gas and expect the same results as a true dual shield wire? BTW, "Dual shield" is an ESAB trademark for one of their products, it does not apply to any 'ol flux cored wire combined with gas shielding. Just doesn't work that way.

If you do want to run "dual shield", I've run .035" Lincoln 71m Outershield (Lincoln's equivalent to Dual-shield) in my Passport with acceptable results. It's seriously pushing the duty cycle of a 180 amp machine, but mine handled it for short runs with no ill effects. Bead size and penetration is roughly on par with what 3/32" 7018 can do and the bead appearance is gorgeous. Just don't do it for extended periods, because like I said - You are seriously pushing a Passport to it's upper limits.

I can share my parameter settings on request, but be advised that I assume no liability.
    Thanks for your reply. As for other comments,not all of us are welding engineers.
    There are times in the field when all I have is my Passport+ and I need per the customer a dualshield weld ie welding a tab or a lifting eye to an excavator bucket.
    I have no problem using hard wire and feel that the weld is as good as the circumstance calls for,but the customer is always right. I'll get a roll of Linclon Outershield and give it a whirl. Your parameters would be welcome and they will make the Passport the perfect portable. ''Liability,I don't need no stinking liability''

You can get the parameters for any brand of wire on that particular wire manufacturer's website. Don't make the mistake of assuming the parameters for Tri-mark, or Hobart, or Lincoln, is the same as whatever you are using (brand x????).
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....