Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default starfire 2e replacement engines?

Hi guys this is my first post. Sorry if there are typos I'm doing this from my phone. Ok I've got a old miller starfire 2e. Well as most of you guys may no those old tecumseh OH-120's are kinda hard to come by. Well my dad gave me this welder, he used it for years. Well my problem is either the coil, stator, or some other electrical problem is causing me to get no spark. My question is are there any modern engines that will bolt up to the generator/welder and run at the proper rpms needed to weld. If I can ill run out to the shed and get the exact model number off the engine. Thanks guys

Steve

Ok I got the engine model # OH120 175028D and serial # 7321E.

Thanks again guys
    Last edited by steveg1208; 09-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Can it be done,yes.....IF you got lucky enough to find a K series Kohler,GX Honda or the engine of your choice that has the tapered and threaded fairly special crank it takes to attach the armature and has a blockthat bolts to the end casting of the main field housing.The other option would be to custom make what it takes to mate the two.
    Sounds like a lot of work for a welder that your not sure if it welds or not.

Thanks Mike. Well see the thing is this welder actually welds very good. I'm almost positive that the coil went bad on the motor. I've got all the parts but one to convert to th GM ignition. But I can't find any info beside a few threads on this thing. I was just curious if it was possible to replace the original engine.

Steve,
    A quick Google search gave me numerous sites that have parts for your current engine.
    Nick
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tecum...w=1024&bih=672

True Nick, but the part I'm after is discontinued and the ones that you can find on eBay are anywhere from $150 to almost $300. I'm just lookin for alternatives to just payin for a coil I can't be guaranteed will last more than a week. I have found a company called overnite solutions that sells a replacement coil for $150. But thank you I'm just checkin all the possibilities.

Steve

Now is the stator right cooked, or does it merely have a broken wire on one of the coils?

These things are really easy to repair!

unlike my spelling apparently

The engine has a ssi coil and I think its bad. The stator dosnt show open with a multimeter. But the ignition coil on the other hand I have no idea how to test.

Steve

Your after a 610906 magneto, I see there is some on Ebay

Default good fix

Years ago I had a Bolens with the 14hp with the same ignition. they are expensive and who knows when they will go. I used an automobile pick up (your flywheel has 2 trigger pins) you can use a modern pick up and auto system. I used a old chrysler. If you do a search for "cub cadet tractor pulling" you will find a whole web sight with the parts, wiring and what ever to convert your motor. won't cost to much just some time. NOW the 2 pins the first pin is just a bit closer to the flywheel, it triggers once rpms are up the second pin is higher and triggers while starting, the second one retards your timimg while cranking. you can crank the motor over and then turn on power to ignition and it will work ok.