Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Death by oil drum.

Well another one had died trying to cut up an oil drum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19035426

Quote Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
    Well another one had died trying to cut up an oil drum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19035426
    a little dry ice would have prevented this......or good ole soap and water.....hopefully other readers will get something from this......Paul
    More Spark Today Please

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by paulrbrown View Post
    a little dry ice would have prevented this......or good ole soap and water.....hopefully other readers will get something from this......Paul
    Or a meter to sniff out vapors. You must be 100% positive that it won't blow before you start any cutting or welding. If not 100% i won't touch it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Lifesaver

I never really thought twice about cutting 55 gallon drums until coming to this forum. I knew the danger and took precautions but now I think twice and purge first. I have a fuel tank that seperated at the welds I need to repair.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rezeppa View Post
    I never really thought twice about cutting 55 gallon drums until coming to this forum. I knew the danger and took precautions but now I think twice and purge first. I have a fuel tank that seperated at the welds I need to repair.
    I have always preferred a thorough wash out with a steam jenny..to boil out the flammables followed by a few chunks of dry ice before and during welding to displace the oxygen and explosive gasses....

that is of course under ideal conditions....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Some CO2 and problem solved, the guy should have read some post on this forum.
    R.I.P.

people just dont think about things sometimes. most dont know but even people that do sometimes do things they think about later and say wow that was close. these thing remind us of things not to do

I almost did one a while back, finally remembered, crap, we had gas in that at one point.

Default dry ice

Can you tell me in what way the dry ice would be used to prevent this. I've not heard of this before. Thanx

I've welded on about 10 fuel tanks already this year, some diesel, some gas and some hydraulic oil.

You need to treat them all the same because you never know when they did you a favor and clean them up with gas, break cleaner, starting fluid etc.

Even when welding on a cracked aluminum oil pan that is still on the car or truck.

You need to use an inert gas ( Helium, Argon, Co2, nitrogen )

On a 55 gallon drum I have even filled to the top with water and started cutting right away as the water flows out.

If your not 100% positive how to do it then dont.