Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shop Vac Holder Arm For Drill

At the end of every week I spend some time cleaning up the workshop.
    Two areas that need most attention are the band saw and the drill press. The band saw is a lost cause so I turned my gaze on the drill press.
    My workshop is only small and there are a lot of things crammed into it. That said to clean up around the drill press I have to move lots of stuff out from under it. I rang Hafco and Carbatec to see if I could buy a holding arm that would bolt onto my drill press, but was told that they did not sell anything like that.
    I rigged some wire to hold the vac nozzle and found out that it picks up 98% of swarf. The other 2% flies off into outer space.
    I hand sketched a design on my iPad and picked up the ali sections I needed to make a start on reducing clean up time.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Fab,fab,fab

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Finished and works great.
    I can point the nozzle anyway I like.
    Perfect.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Finished and works great.
    I can point the nozzle anyway I like.
    Perfect.

Ji
    Hey man that looks great and looks like it serves its purpose, the best part is you could not find what you were looking for so you fabbed it yourself, AWESOME

Nice, that takes all the fun out of it . It's better trying to hold on to the vise, direct vacuum , and feed drill.

Hi Three Turbos,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    This should fit just about any drill press as they all have that central column.
    I was expecting that someone would have sold something like this seeing how dust extraction is becoming more required.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hi BD1,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Yes that is true but I don't find juggling much fun.
    I was using a hand to hold the nozzle, then a magnet and a bent piece of wire.
    Hopeless !
    I want to see what I am drilling and have both hands free, this device allows that. I also don't want to spend so much time cleaning up, even though I am the workshop maid.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Yes , you would almost think it be a standard part on a drill press for the mess they make while drilling. You almost have me convinced now to build one nice going. I just wish i had that connection to all the aluminum you have. You must have an easy access to that. Anyway again great idea now i have my next project to build.

Eric

Hi Three Turbos,
    Well that is what I thought too.
    Pretty simple and needed.
    As required as a chuck.
    The aluminium including cutting to size cost $9.00.

I am thinking of fabbing a twin head so all the swarf that drops down onto the vice gets picked up too.
    Stayed tuned.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Will do man can't wait all of your projects are very functional and practical for people i enjoy looking at all of your projects thanks again, Eric