Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Default Pro 300 question

Ok Jeff, I picked up a PRO300 earlier this year and put on the idle kit on it.

Now here is the problem, it idles fine with the ignition switch, rev's and idles when welding, now if you hit the grinder or plug anything in to the 120 or 240 side the machine will not pickup on its own? It puts out 240/120 at 50HZ as the manual says to set the idle speed at.

So I guess is this the way that the PRO is or is there something wrong ?

Thx Railmen.
    2007 Trailblazer 302G
    2004 Invision 354MP
    1999 60 series feeder
    2005 Maxstar 200DX
    2007 CST280
    1999 HF 251-1
    older Hobart hefty wire feeder
    Hyperthrem 600
    Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
    had and sold........
    2003 XMT 304CC/CV
    1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
    1963 Lincoln SA200G
    1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
    1970's Lincoln SAE400G
    2 Maxstar's 200DX's
    1 Maxstar 200SD
    CST 280
    2 CST 250
    MM130

Railmen

OK, had a looksee, when the idle toriod CT1 was installed. Apparently not by you, the tech who installed it didn't wind the auxillary pickups through it, only the weld portion, therefore the welder won't sence the load from the 120Vac receptacles.

hope this kinda answers your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Yes and preventative maintenance also inludes the tightening of the brass locks on the output studs. Recomend using red locktite on the threads. This is another BIG problem area which if left alone will end up causing damage to the inverter and memory boards
    Well I popped the cover off last week and the main input wiring appeared to be correct.
    As for the output studs are you referring to the back of the lead plugs in the front of the machine? Mine appeared to be tight but I needed to use the machine and didn't take the time to undo & loctite 'em.

Default Thermal arc predator ta10/270

Just to keep the thread alive I've got one of these things. I know some ppl don't like em but...it welds just fine.
    The idle kickdown works sporadically. Machine has about 402 hrs on it. Was a standby gen unit which was under cover. Purchased from 2nd owner who had it covered on a trailer for a year or year and half. It's not weathered and beat to crap.
    Is there a problem area where I should start looking to fix this. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work but it's one of those things that bugs me.

The difference between the high and low rev, is not very significant, since the when you turn the front fine control, it either turns up or down the engine, unless you have the T-bird version, though even then the difference from high to low wasn't much.

It's likely that the throttle solinoid needs a good cleaning.

This unit was made for the farmers running pure sine wave 230 & 460 to power shops. While a good welder, they never lasted long for that purpose. Once you nuke the microwindings in the generator, the machines were garbage. However the honda engines were good for pumps and what not after the welding generator blew.

Default I hate it when a machine stops working then starts working and then the next day stop

History: XMT 304, Purchased a group at an auction. Cleaned and torqued, four out of five machines work fine. One machine sporadically keeps showing help 7.
    I tear it open again clean it, loosen all connections, scotch brite clean and re torque.
    Machine starts working and runs for the rest of the day.
    Next day: go to use the machine and its back to Help 7.
    How can something fix and then unfix itself?
    Kelly

Thats easy! One of your output capacitor 20K ohm drain resistors is shot

I use ohmite # L25J20KE. With a small pencil flame torch, remove the offending resistor, and with a soldering gun install the new resistor, you'll have to slightly cut the tabs on the new resistor to fit the slots though.

Default Dynasty 350

Cruizer,

I have browsed this forum for a long time and I've been looking forward to working on my own metal projects. I respect all of the help you have given other members and your experience.

The OTD price of a 350 has been prohibitive and I've been waiting for a deal on one. I got a deal on a Tigrunner Dynasty 350 that (I hope) only has a small problem. I like tinkering on everything including electrical so fixing it will be fun along with the functioning welder. It has a HF start issue that is intermittent. You can watch this exact unit weld at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqETCTp5DAs

The serial is : LJ300078L

Where would you start with troubleshooting? The unit is still in freight transit and I should be picking it up Wednesday.

Thank you for your help!

Heres one for ya. My Millermatic 200 was working perfectly since I purchased it a few weeks ago. Just yesterday when I went to use it I hit the trigger and it shorted out like the wire was getting clogged or catching somewhere. I figured my tension was to tight to I went to adjusting it, upon further inspection with the wire removed and no tension whatsoever on the wheel you can watch the wheel to the drive motor and it starts slow then speeds up. Its just everytime I start welding it starts slow then speeds up so it really sucks for tacking something together, if I make a weld though then hit the trigger again just a second or 2 later it'll start at the right speed. Problem is it welds perfect the drive motor just starting slow. I'm guessing brushs or potentionmeter for wire speed, would these be right, have'nt gotten around to taking it apart yet.
    Thanks

Default Bored, need a problem I actually can't figure out

@ Luke. Your machine has a slow start feature. Congrats