Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    Didn't open it up, it's Autoline and came with a pig tail, thought all I had to do to hook it up for 230 single phase was to hook black and white to hot and green to nutral/ground and cut/tape back red. I used it for 1-1/2 years that way.
    Yes, but how is it wired INSIDE the machine. Seen lots of machines miswired by..... somebody.

They do seem to work that way, but eventually something goes poof.

Default Bored, need a problem I actually can't figure out

Missed that, it's on a cart. Like I said, I checked all the grounds from the outlet to the welder frame. The other strange part is that it works every time after turned on and the first time the trigger is pulled. I thought of taking it to a service center but just didn't want to give it up for someone to strip apart. It's still a great welder. I appreciate you taking the time.

If it is wired wrong inside it was not by me, time will tell. It's in the shop for repairs now. I'll open it up when I get it back.
    What would you say is a reasonable amount of time for a repair shop to look at a welder?
    I have a new dynasty 350 should I open it up and check the internal wiring on that?

Well, All I can figure out since you've changed out the board, is that something is charging and staying charged after you hit the trigger for the first time, so a arc strike relay is comming on and staying on. I'm wondering if you were to temporarily (just for fun) remove the ground wire from the machine and retry it.
    Last edited by cruizer; 09-21-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling is not my friend

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    If it is wired wrong inside it was not by me, time will tell. It's in the shop for repairs now. I'll open it up when I get it back.
    What would you say is a reasonable amount of time for a repair shop to look at a welder?
    I have a new dynasty 350 should I open it up and check the internal wiring on that?
    No this was just a problem with the 200 series. i've seen lots of them from the rental outfits wired up all funny (new ones miswired by somebody, no names here...)

As for warranty, up to 2 weeks max

Thanks, I'll be on the phone Monday. What ever the internals are wired up for idk, it came out of a new sealed Miller box.
    Thanks Kevin

Default how to pull the distributor on a old big 40

hey there im in need of some help i have an older miller big 40 not sure the year cant pull the s/n up on the webpage its 70-543296 so if you can help me out with the year and correct manual info that would be great also. anyway the housing on my distributor is cracked would like to pull it and replace it but i cant seem to get it pulled out i thought u just unbolted it and pulled it out but its not working so im not sure if it just stuck in there and i a puss and cant pull it or if theres more to it any feed back would be great thanks

Well, as the serial goes its a 1970, and yes the distributor will just pull out with a couple twists. Really want to make sure that the rotor turns to the SAME place on the new one. It's just old and the o rings on the dist shaft are likely kinda hardened, thats why its a b,,itch to pull out.

And just incase someone turns the engine over or it moves, its ALWAYS best to turn the engine so that its on #1 TDC. Before you pull the distributor. that way you have a reference point to go back to.

ok now the neck on the distributor housing is broke so so just the top of the housing wants to twist and not whole distributor any ideas on what to do to get it out of there

It's a flat head anyways, so yard the head.