Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Cruizer,I have a number of 30A control cables that I would like to figure out if they are servicable or not.I do not know the history of the cables but cannot see just blindly tossing them in the trash when replacements are 300 plus.
    Short of a megaohm meter(which I could afford if I could build a couple of 30As to sell) is there a way to see if they are good or not?

When I test the 30A's I just plug em into a WC-24 and Miller PSA power supply.

As for control cables, they seldom go out, however the pins in the plastic AMP pins tend to pull out.

Testing the cables themselves can easily be done with a resistance meter (OHMs) though.

Default Bored, need a problem I actually can't figure out

I sent my 1-1/2 year old dynasty 200dx out for repairs about 3 weeks ago. Welder shuts off after about 30 seconds of welding then turns on showing the same numbers, on the display, as when you switch it on. No help code displays. It will do this over and over again. Any ideas what went wrong. Pulled a reset, no change.
    Kevin

Is it wired for single phase? IE if you open it up, it should be from left to right on the on/off switch black, white, red where black and white are the single phase connections. Often the white and the red are reversed. This leads to mod failure.

As far as the 110 and 230 being different programs, I see it as the voltage comes into the PC board then out to the transformer. The PC board works strictly off of the 110v that doesn't change with the plugs. The 230 is just supplied to the transformer for more current. At least I believe that's how it works.

Nope, on 230 its sets a different program according to the tech manual, drops the output voltage lower and raises the ouput higher, therefore it also adjusts the wire speed to compensate. If the board didn't realize that it was operating at 230, and set itself up for 110, the unit would literally blow up.

Now is this machine on a table, or is it on its own cart. We've ran into a problem where people are using non isolated receptacles on the table, and it would feed back into the machine. A 110Vac machine wouldn't notice it but a 230 machine would. Just curious.
    Last edited by cruizer; 09-21-2012 at 09:09 PM.

I agree that it senses the 230 but I figured the 24v supplied to the circuitry is still the same and the voltage to the motor wouldn't know the difference. That's why I thought changing PC1 would fix it. There isn't much else in there. Any other suggestions? I figured this would a tough one to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Is it wired for single phase? IE if you open it up, it should be from left to right on the on/off switch black, white, red where black and white are the single phase connections. Often the white and the red are reversed. This leads to mod failure.
    Who was this directed to?

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    Who was this directed to?
    To you

Quote Originally Posted by labmaster02 View Post
    I agree that it senses the 230 but I figured the 24v supplied to the circuitry is still the same and the voltage to the motor wouldn't know the difference. That's why I thought changing PC1 would fix it. There isn't much else in there. Any other suggestions? I figured this would a tough one to figure out.
    Yep this is a toughy, but I like a puzzle! How bout my other question about where you welder is located?

Didn't open it up, it's Autoline and came with a pig tail, thought all I had to do to hook it up for 230 single phase was to hook black and white to hot and green to nutral/ground and cut/tape back red. I used it for 1-1/2 years that way.