Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ICE-12C plasma torch problem

Hello, I have a Miller Spectrum Thunder with an ICE-12C torch. It appears that the main torch body is not functioning correctly as the plunger is sticking. To get the torch to fire, I have to "wiggle" the plunger. It works for a moment, then it quits.

Can the main body head be rebuilt, or is the only option to buy a new body or complete torch? I don't think it is worth spending the money on a new torch ($300+), so I am searching for reasonable options. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Just get the main body for it, a #196932 from : www.miller4less.com

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I was hoping it could be rebuilt for much less. Even lower than the $175 for the body only, but I don't see rebuild kits or parts so assume not.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Well if there was ever any water in the head, it tends to lock up.

You can try the WD-40 trick by removing the plastic handle, nozzle electrode, diffuser. and shooting the head with wd-40. Use the electrode and press the electrode back and forth in the body on till the internal spring clears itself.

Reasemble , and with the "SET AIR" on let the rest of the WD-40 will blow out. Disassemble, and clean the electrode and nozzle, then run it up.

Will the electrode motion be smooth within the head, or is there suppose to be a clicking as it moves up and down? I will try to soak the head in wd40 tonight to see if that helps.

Thanks for the guidance!

Jeff

There is a switch on the back of the head to tell the machine that the nozzle is in place, otherwise the motion should be smooth.

If th motion is smooth already, and you do hear the clicking of the switch, it may just be that your electrode is not making a good contact with the body. In which case the mating surfaces just need to be cleaned (skotch brite)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post
    Will the electrode motion be smooth within the head, or is there suppose to be a clicking as it moves up and down? I will try to soak the head in wd40 tonight to see if that helps.

Thanks for the guidance!

Jeff

You don't want to "Soak the head" you want to spray it with the aerosol version of WD-40.

Ok. I tried spraying with wd40, while moving the electrode back and forth. I removed the switch and lead wire as well and cleaned the area. When I move the electrode in and out, there is a spot that it hangs and clicks as I move past in both directions. I still have to move the electrode back and forth to get the torch to fire. Can the head be taken apart and cleaned/inspected or am I down to replacing the entire body?

If anyone has a good used torch for this unit at a reasonable price, please let me know.

Thank you

It can be taken apart though its a nighmare to get it back together. Its held together with a snap ring.