Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bobcat 225 NT died and will not do anything

Yesterday I was using my Miller bobcat 225 NT as a generator, I had it hooked up to the meter loop of a shop I am building to check some electrical wiring I installed prior to getting electrical service. While actualy making sure some equipment worked in the shop, the Miller Bobcat died (no sputtering or hesitation it just died) while running at high idle, the machine would not do anything when I attempted to start.

The battery is new, I have not checked because it was raining last night when this happened. The fuel tank is full and the oil level is good.

Could this be a fuse, I read that the F-6 fuse when blown the welder would not start. Whould the blown fuse cause the machine to die and not even turnover?

I need help?

Well, yep, cause ther would be no power going to the coil. nor to the starter.

Why it happened though is a dilema. Did you hook your supply power to test your circuits correctly? ie, it more sounds like you grounded one of the live circuits back to the frame of the machine. That would be the only reason I could think of to take out that fuse.

There just may be further damage besides the fuse, as the DC system doesn't particularly like AC being pumped into it.

If the starter solenoid doesn't even click, that's a pretty good sign fuse F6 is open. If it clicks but won't engage/turn over, check your battery as the charging regulator is probably bad.

I doubt your testing hookup had anything to do with blowing F6 and I would check flashing diode D4 to see if it's shorted closed.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

There would have to be a heavy draw on the 12 VDC systom to open F6, like a dead short. I just guessed since you were powering an auxillary circuit when this happened, that that system could be the culprit, or it was simply coincedence.

Never the less report back what you discover. Oh a dead battery, non charging, or low oil would not take that fuse out.

I did consider the dumping of a heavy auxiliary power load while testing could result in a spike of exciter voltage which could take out (short) flashing diode D4 and backfeed the battery circuit thus blowing F6.

But as you know, F1 should blow first if such were to happen so . . . ???

I agree "a dead battery, non charging, or low oil would not take that fuse out" but a bad regluator could and I wouldn't rule out a battery/ignition circuit wire shorted to ground either.

I too am curious as to what the OP finds.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 09-18-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Smile

I have my doubts that he is going to report back, most never do.

I appologize for not getting back and letting everyone know what I found. I found the F6 fuse blown and replaced, the machine fired up when I attempted to strike an arc the machine reved up as usual and I assumed that it was fine. A few days ago my son attempted to use the machine and it would barely strike when attempting to strike an arc. I assume the F1 fuse is blown also, while I am in there are there any suggestions on what to look at also?

One thing I failed to mention in my original post is that it was raining the night the machine quit, is it possible a short was created due to rain? Thanks for the help to this point.

You really want to inspect the harness plug inbetween the engine starter and generator section. It's VERY likely that the terminals have turns green from corrosion. Clean them and either spray them with the likes of WD-40 or use a DI-Electric grease.

This is your most likely culprit.

After checking the engine harness plug, I'd check fuse F1 that you've suggested and flashing diode D4 mentioned in post #3 and exciter current rectifier bridge SR2.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Well I pulled the top off this evening and the F1 Fuse is blown, duaneb55 what is the best way to check the D4 and the SR2? I know that I need to check resistance with a ohm meter but not sure how I need to do. Also it takes a while to get parts around here, does anyone know if I can get a aftermarket fuse and also the best place to order parts online?