Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stainless Flux for Keg

Has anyone ever converted a SS keg into a brew kettle? I've seen a few YouTube videos but I want to get the viewpoint from experienced welders.

I'll TIG weld the fitting in with Argon. What kind of flux should I use to keep the backside clean?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Has anyone ever converted a SS keg into a brew kettle? I've seen a few YouTube videos but I want to get the viewpoint from experienced welders.

I'll TIG weld the fitting in with Argon. What kind of flux should I use to keep the backside clean?
    The only flux i know of for stainless tig is for pipe penetration. U can try closing it off and purging it with argon. If your getting a sugaring effet on the backside then you are welding too slow

Thanks but purging is not an option. My LWS hooked me up with some Type B Solar Flux. I've been testing with it on some scrap but not too happy with the results yet.
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

What problems are you having?

I would tig with pulsing. Do you have pulse setting on you welder?. I weld stainless pipe for a food dist. Here in town and the only way I can get a clean weld inside is using my pulse settings. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    What problems are you having?
    Porosity seems to be my biggest issue. It's definitely better than no flux but I like to do a better job.
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by Gaby View Post
    I would tig with pulsing. Do you have pulse setting on you welder?. I weld stainless pipe for a food dist. Here in town and the only way I can get a clean weld inside is using my pulse settings. Good luck!
    I don't have pulse on the Diversion 180. The job is done now. I used the flux as directed then used a wire wheel to clean it up.
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™