Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default brown flux on weld with 7018?

I'm kinda new to welding. I was just wonder if getting a brownish color on the flux coating the weld was normal? I have only ran 6011 and 7018 so far. With the 6011s I get kinda a glossy black flux over it. I also only get this brown flux when I make a easy bead down the metal, when I try to do vertical or any thing I can't get that brown flux. The brown flux chips very easy. So do 7018 rods lay brown flux when you run a nice bead at the right heat? Or what does this brown flux mean, any help is welcome. Thanks for you time.

Default brown flux on weld with 7018?

yes it's normal.....

The shiny flux you have after welding is silicon that has melted and risen to the top (think glass). It serves a couple purposes, nothing to worry about as its normal to have it on the weld.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

You will know when u get 7018 running right... you should be able to jus run your chipping hammer down the weld and whatever didnt fall off already will be very easy to knock off.

eventually you will get to where a 7018 will peel itself