Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

OK, gotta ask. Why left-hand threads?????
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Dough Boy Racer, The nuts got welded inside the square tube and then the square tube got welded on the bottom side of the top flange. I had to do it this way because if I just were to weld the nut to the underside of the beam the concrete would block the hole.

The concrete is going to be poured tomorrow on the onside of the beams.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    OK, gotta ask. Why left-hand threads?????
    So when you tighten the bolt in the drilled and tapped hole it backs out the threaded rod plug.
    Last edited by Doughboyracer; 09-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Dough Boy Racer, The nuts got welded inside the square tube and then the square tube got welded on the bottom side of the top flange. I had to do it this way because if I just were to weld the nut to the underside of the beam the concrete would block the hole.

The concrete is going to be poured tomorrow on the onside of the beams.
    I understand that...I was giving you options for your plugs for that...and options for other things to cast in the floor.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

A 40'x80' garage addition is a fair sized structure. I am sure you had a structural engineer on board for this. What is his opinion on the floor loads? If the structure was done without plans you can still hire a structural engineer to calc out the loads and thickness of the slab for under $500. There are many factors here which need to be addressed and there is no reason to "guess."

I got all the concrete poured, The inside slab is at least 6" plus at the walls and a little thicker where the trucks pull in 8" with the heavier wire mesh.
    I have coffee in the morning with the old guys at Mc dees and one of the old guys who owned the cement plant and now his kids run it.
    He said they were all lauphing at the concrete plant because I made chairs to hold my wire up.
    I also poured a 30' x 40' appron in front of the doors, That is all 8".

Now I have to wait for things to cure before I bring the hilo in to set the runway beams for the crane.