Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Wrench

Default Custom Wrench

At work one of the machines that we are in the process of designing had a bolt that was inaccessible with a torque wrench using standard tools. We needed a custom tool to access the bolt so that we could properly torque it down. Using an oxyacetylene torch I bent the handle of the ratcheting combination wrench to make the open end side of the wrench parallel to the ratcheting box end. Next I welded an impact socket on the open end side to allow for access with a 3/8 extension and a torque wrench. I made a 14 mm to 10 mm hex adapter to allow us to use a 14 mm wrench with the 10 mm hex required to tighten the inaccessible M12 bolts, because we were concerned that the M10 ratcheting combination wrench would be too wimpy.

One thing I noticed was that the thinner socket needed more heat than the thicker open end wrench to make them both the same color during welding. I am assuming that this might be because the socket had more carbon than the open end wrench and a higher melting temperature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

How do you calculate the foot pounds since you added mechanical advantage to the torque wrench?

Foot-pounds is simply how many pounds of force you apply one foot away. If one is even moderately competent with the math, easy to scale it up or down. Most of the old-time Cat mechanics or JD mechanics, that I knew anyway, didn't even own a torque wrench. Torqued every bolt, even the head bolts, up by feel.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Always making new tools to get the job done.
    Great work.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Foot-pounds is simply how many pounds of force you apply one foot away. If one is even moderately competent with the math, easy to scale it up or down. Most of the old-time Cat mechanics or JD mechanics, that I knew anyway, didn't even own a torque wrench. Torqued every bolt, even the head bolts, up by feel.
    Attached is a picture with the calculaton for the diminished torque when used with an extension. (Courtesy of Dale M.)

The attached calculation is wrong.
    The correct one is on post #13
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don52; 09-09-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Been a few times, years ago, when I sure coulda used that kinda thinking. The welding hobby is pretty recent for me. Nice one, man. Nice one.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Thanks for the info re torque wrench extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Attached is a picture with the calculaton for the diminished torque when used with an extension. (Courtesy of Dale M.)
    Don52,

If the first formula is used, it appears that the output torque is actually increased when using an extension, even though the input torque remains the same. So, it follows... if the input torque at the handle is 150#, and the extension is equal to the length of the wrench (in effect doubling the length), then the output torque is 300#.
    Regards,
    Goodhand

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    Don52,

If the first formula is used, it appears that the output torque is actually increased when using an extension, even though the input torque remains the same. So, it follows... if the input torque at the handle is 150#, and the extension is equal to the length of the wrench (in effect doubling the length), then the output torque is 300#.
    Regards,
    Goodhand
    And that's the whole point of the exercise. One formula says if your wrench is set for 150, you get 300 with the extension. The other formula says if you want 300, then set your wrench to 150. The formulas allow you to substitute different values for your extension length, wrench length, and the desired torque to be applied (which is usually known).