Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I put 4" wheels on my 1/2" steel table that is 4 x 6 and can wheel it around the shop to my hearts content. A little WD-40 on the top keeps it from rusting. even if it does get some rust a wire wheel knocks it off fast. If you want alum for your alum projects just get a thinner sheet to clamp to the top.

Default Welding table thickness

Don't worry about having a steel table outside. My welding table is made completely out of steel "C" channel that used to be a steel wood rack for a fireplace. It's never had rust problems yet. Anyways, regardless you can use all the Aluminum you want but I might still suggest you consider a sheet of 12ga steel over the top and if you want you can even leave the mill scale on it. The reason is, any steel or anything that is harder than the Aluminum will get embedded into the Aluminum top. Those particles will leave awful scratches into your projects. Just my opinion. Have fun building it. There is a cool pre-fab'ed tool holder showcased on www.weldingtipsandtricks.com that holds grinders, drivers, welding accessories etc to add to the table. Later!
    Ps here's the clutter catcher link
    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/metalworking-hand-tools.html
    Last edited by bobhdus; 09-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.

All valid points, thanks guys. I completely understand the benifits of a steel top and from the opinions I'll most likely lean that way, but the frame will still have to be alum. Nothing gets me more fired up than rust on my projects that I worked hard on. I'd rather look at aluminum oxide than watch the foot pads of my table rust into the ground. Sad to say but it's going to sit outside, I don't have a concrete slab outside the shop to keep it on either. Frame will be 2x2x1/4" tubing, I figured if it wasn't heavy enough to support the top I could fill the vertical legs with sand. Anyway, I do appreciate the comments, hope you all enjoy labor day. Ja

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

" Frame will be 2x2x1/4" tubing,"

4" pipe or 4X4 Sq tube will be cheaper, stouter, and last longer unprotected than aluminum. It also has the benifit of being able to weld the top on. If you don't want to watch it rust then paint the thing, or clear coat it.

Default Welding table thickness

My table legs are 6 in sh80. 80 pipe . Top is 3/4 I wouldn't use anything lighter. I have a Wilton vise mounted on one end and a piece of 3x3 angle on one side groove up .. My table has 4x4 by 1/4 square tube frame with fork pockets it has bolts on feet to level up and down pretty classic oilfield table works well

There's nothing worse than a table that's too light and spongey and has stuff boucing all over the place when you try to bang on it. My table has a 3" tubing frame with a 4' X 5' X 1" thick top, all sitting on 6" locking casters. It's heavy but moves easily on the shop floor. After using this I'm spoiled and would hate to work on anything lighter!
    You can drill and tap clamping holes, tac weld, and fabricate jigs to a steel top also. Aluminum, in my opinion has way too many downsides.

I think people are losing the fact that he wants an easy to move lightweight table. My welding table has a 42" x 96" x 5/8 top with 6 4x4" x 3'8 wall legs and a lower shelf with bracing and the whole nine yards. Took a forklift to put it into place. I love it but I would not recommend this to the OP because it doesn't fit his needs.. Maybe if we stay on track more and not recommend tables that do not apply to his needs ...we can offer better suggestions. just my thoughts
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

........is this closer to what were suposed to be talking about?.......
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Juve...-Blue/12168125

I'd probably beef up the top with some 24 guage steel sheet if it was mine

O.K. seriously.....
    Have you considered getting some 1/4" plate, weld some pipe couplers to the bottom to screw pipe legs into and weld a couple brackets on one side to hold two wheels. You would have a fairly stout table that the legs could be unscrewed and the top could be rolled around like a two wheeled cart and stood up against a wall to get it out of the way.

When space and budgets are tight you gotta use a little imagination.

photo.jpg

Thanks Nick, This is about my speed. Hobbiest projects, gas grills, hinged boxes for boats, boat repairs and the small stuff. Like I said under 100 lbs. Weight is the issue. I have a step up into the shop, so I'll have to be able to pull and lift in. Dont need a massive heavy table, already have one against the wall with railroad ties as legs and 3/4 inch top, plenty stout for banging on a project. Just want something nice and light enough to move into the center of my shop and sit next to in a chair to do my projects. Thanks again guys for the replys, all good ideas.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools