Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Being hidden can have it's advantages also. You are not retail so drive by shoppers are not likely anyway. You can do almost anything you want without worrying about someone complaining. Not having people just stop in to chat & check it out. Where I am from zoning, regulations & compliance are very common things that get people in trouble.

For instance say you need to pimer something you are building/repairing. Not something you usually do but this job needs it. Someone might complain if you were in full view of the street & saw you painting without a booth.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Go For IT!

Sounds like a really good start (as long as you get a "Real" garage door). Agree with others, check zoning, make sure you can do what you do! You MUST be able to put a Large sign out near the Highway, or you might as well work out of your garage! I have been there, done that, and the worst move I made (believe it or not) was a move to a location that had no visibility "Traffic". Sure it was 6000 sq. ft. high ceilings, 14' doors, could drive a entire rig through the shop, and it was only 625.00/month, BUT, and this is a big BUT! I had no visibility, no area for signage, banners, etc. and therefore, no business. Moved from there to a place on the highway, that was a third of the size, and I now have plenty of business!
    Good Luck!

Didn't speak with the owner. Was on a job site all day. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a better chance. I'll ask about putting a 3x5
    Sign up by the curb on either direction. A few feet of the grounds. To get the ball rolling. Any other suggestions.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

That sign sounds too small. Try reading a sign that size while you are driving by it at 50 mph. A good sign has to be big enough to read easily by someone driving by at 50 or higher speed. It's a waste to put up a small sign that can only be read by someone standing still 10' from it. If your shop can't be seen from the street your sign will be the only way to show people who you are and where you are located. It needs to be much larger with attention getting colors so it's easy to read quickly from a distance.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Default Moving out the garage into a shop?

Being behind a building, make sure you can really secure the place. Most thieves work best where they can't be seen and there is not much light. Your equipment is you biggest investment. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by eecervantes83 View Post
    Didn't speak with the owner. Was on a job site all day. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a better chance. I'll ask about putting a 3x5
    Sign up by the curb on either direction. A few feet of the grounds. To get the ball rolling. Any other suggestions.
    Another thing to check: Sign Ordinances!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default Go for it!

Eddie,
    I think it sounds like a good deal. the price of shop space around here is pretty high so to get this deal with all utilities sounds good. We need another shop to run a little compitition with northwest and ross. Most of the roads witihin two miles of town are lower than 50 mph so your sign should be just the right size.
    Jerry

Well i got the shop. But its always empty. Like I said most my work is onsite. I've done a few repairs in the shop. But I'm guessing its going to be a while before I get a few more customers.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#