Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving out the garage into a shop?

I'm being offered a small shop about the same size as a 2 car garage at my go to mechanics shop. Its hidden behind his building. He's asking 500 with all utilities included.
    CONS: HAS ONLY A MAN DOOR 36" WIDE.
    ITS HIDDEN NO STREET VIEW.
    RURAL SETTING. 2 MILES OUT OF CITY.
    PROS: LARGE PARKING LOT.
    HEATER FOR THE WINTER MONTHS.
    LOTS OF TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAY UP FRONT.
    with the winter months around the corner. And work slowing down I have my doubts.
    Most all my income comes from truckers
    Repairing frames & aluminum fuel tanks.

Edit: As of now I'm only mobile. A shop setting would be good change. Having work come to me instead of me chasing it all over town.
    Last edited by eecervantes83; 08-29-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

dang, that 36" door sounds like a deal breaker. for that square footage and no door to speak of, $500 doesn't sounds like that sweet of a deal.
    '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
    '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
    Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS
    6x6 Enco corner notcher
    Weldsale fixture table 3x5
    Acorn Welding Platen 5x8

Default shop

Here's a picture of the lot there's a large concrete pat in front if the shop. Maybe
    20'x40'. I could build a carport?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller 130xp
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw

What is your location ? What kind of power does it have ? What kind of heat ?
    Is there a bathroom ? Any other places available with overhead door or doors ?
    What someone ask and what he gets are two different things. Sounds like outside work on trucks is gonna be cold . What would he say about trucks being parked or stored in back ? Maybe you could rent it with the rear parking lot and rent truck trailer parking to offset the 500.00 ? I would look around and check craigs list.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1:292195
    What is your location ? What kind of power does it have ? What kind of heat ?
    Is there a bathroom ? Any other places available with overhead door or doors ?
    What someone ask and what he gets are two different things. Sounds like outside work on trucks is gonna be cold . What would he say about trucks being parked or stored in back ? Maybe you could rent it with the rear parking lot and rent truck trailer parking to offset the 500.00 ? I would look around and check craigs list.
    Its Hermiston Oregon
    220v & 120v
    Heat is from an oil stove
    Yes theres a full bathroom
    with shower stall.
    Hermiston is in a farming setting
    Theres two major freeways. 182 & 84
    I've looked at possible shop. And are either around 2k monthly. Or for sale.
    Last edited by eecervantes83; 08-29-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller 130xp
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw

Default Moving out the garage into a shop?

Would the owner be mad if you installed a roll up door?

I plan on asking. On a roll up door. Like the ones found on metal sheds or self storages.
    Theres one for sale near here at 350 obo. Its a 10x8 self contained roll up. I'd would just need to frame it in. Would I cover the cost of the roll up and installation. Or could I maybe get it deducted from rent how's that work.
    Last edited by eecervantes83; 08-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller 130xp
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw

Oregon ! sorry,that's out of my area. Cutting a door in sounds better if you can deal on it. Would you be able to have a storage trailer out there ? That may help
    work things out if you need to free up floor space. Sounds like all you need is a microwave and you can move in. Might be a home away from home; if the wife girl friend throws you out. I'm looking forward to the postings. Good luck

Have you checked the zoning in this town? Is this property zoned for light industrial? Maybe it doesn't matter where you are but I would check before you make a deal to move in. Don't forget you will need insurance also. Any truck work will be outside on the slab. A two car garage gets full real quick but it would be a start.

Will your customers want to bring you work instead of you going to them? How much of your work now would actually fit in the shop as apposed to doing it outside on the pad?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Yes there's enough parking room out there. I could fit 3-5 trailers if I had to.
    I'm going to be speaking with the owner tomorrow. On lowering the rent & putting in a larger door. Other than being hidden. Its not a bad spot just outside city limits.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller 130xp
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw