Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Repairing rusty golf cart battery frames

I posted this on another forum also:

Anyone do much of this?

I was being a good neighbor and volunteered to help fix a guy's battery trays in his electric golf cart.

Originally I was going to use my first class Millermatic 252 to repair this, but after trying to clean some of the frame I was going to weld to, I realized that wasn't going to happen. Except for building the trays using the Mig, I had to weld them into the frame using my Miller Maxstar 150S stick welder.

Using 6011 rods, I was able to burn through the crap I wasn't able to clean off, and make a solid repair. Since the thickness of the material varied, due to varying degrees of rust, I would very occasionally burn through, and I would think, geeee..... what a POS this cart is......... and I know there are those on this forum who hate 6013 rods, but I was able to go back and fill those burn-thru's very nicely with those rods.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but just wanted to share this experience. I personally would have trashed this cart, but my friend asked to do the best I could.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

I replied to your other thread.

You can't weld rust. After the rust is ground off there has to be enough left to weld to. Then you have to fabricate the missing pieces and weld them in place. If this will require too many hours to be cost effective it's usually better to find a donor frame and move the good pieces over to it. As I said in your other thread we recently refused to work on a cart that had extensive rust problems because it would have cost the owner more than the cart was worth to repair it. Our suggestion was for him to find a wrecked donor cart with a good frame or at least one that required less rust repair.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

I agree with you Charley, there reaches a point where fixing these carts aren't worth it. I can't believe how much of a mess these batteries make. Why don't these manufacturers isolate these batteries in a big plastic box? Like everything else they make, they want us to come back and buy another new one. They're not as dumb as we think.

I did the welding repair for free, since he's a good neighbor and friend. If I had used MIG, I would have had to get the metal very clean. But with those 6011 rods, I was able to burn through the rust that was left, and get to the base metal. For his purposes, its plenty strong. I wouldn't have done that with a trailer being towed on a public highway, but for a 5-10 mph golf cart, plenty safe.

Sure, you can't weld rust, but you can effectively burn through it to get to the good metal. Maybe that's why most farmers do their own welding, because while the professionals are worrying about liability (understandably so) they're getting their equipment quickly & temporarily fixed before the next rain comes and they can't get into the field.
    Last edited by Gobysky; 09-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

Default Repairing rusty golf cart battery frames

I had to rebuild one for my parents golf cart. I had to start over from scratch. Turn out well.