Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ya, thats what my google search found. I was dumbfounded when I read it.

Ok, according to that, welding galvanized steel won't kill you. It will just make you so sick that you will think that you are dying. Well, that's how I felt when I got into it, and it lasted 3 days for me. The only way I will touch galvanize again is if I'm wearing the proper filtered mask and there is a slight breeze to take the smoke away from me. Even after grinding it off there always seems to be some left behind in/on the steel to smoke and pop at you.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

if you have to weld it drink coffee or tea to wash it out. my dad taught me that one and it works for me

In the late seventies they just told us to drink alot of milk before you welded it.It is supose to keep you from getting sick.

I can tell u this for sure.. anytime u burn through galvanized it definetly affects the welds integrity. It may not matter a whole lot on sheet metal when your welding the corners but when your welding structural steel with 7018 and you dont get all the galv off the weld area and an inch past it your weld will fail xray and possibly a bend test too

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    I can tell u this for sure.. anytime u burn through galvanized it definetly affects the welds integrity. It may not matter a whole lot on sheet metal when your welding the corners but when your welding structural steel with 7018 and you dont get all the galv off the weld area and an inch past it your weld will fail xray and possibly a bend test too
    havent had that issue yet. i burn it out with 6010 then 7018 or i use 232 innershield and burn right thru it. just completed a job with a bunch of galvanized. i welded every piece on the job and it all passed. of course the flat welding was hardest but i cranked 30 volts into the flat with .072 232. probably 175 ipm or more

Passed what? Jus a visual.... it may look ok but it is still contaminated

U.t.