Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plasma Brands

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Why do you guys like the Hypertherm so much? How is it better than the Spectrum 625 X-Treme? Other than being less expensive.
    Hypertherm systems consistently outperform the competition in cut quality, productivity, and operating costs.

I'm not sure how you are able to say that Hypertherm can outperform Miller. And when was the last time you did a side by side comparison? For several years Miller was buying thier torches from Hypertherm so the quality and performance of the torches is the same. So if it then comes down to the power source, it has been suggested about a million times on this blog that Miller has always built the best power sources.
    Have you had a chance to try Miller's new XT torches which are not made by Hypertherm? I have be using the 375 Xtreme with the XT30 torch and will put that up against the Powermax 30 any day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger_Fan View Post
    I'm not sure how you are able to say that Hypertherm can outperform Miller. And when was the last time you did a side by side comparison? For several years Miller was buying thier torches from Hypertherm so the quality and performance of the torches is the same. So if it then comes down to the power source, it has been suggested about a million times on this blog that Miller has always built the best power sources.
    Have you had a chance to try Miller's new XT torches which are not made by Hypertherm? I have be using the 375 Xtreme with the XT30 torch and will put that up against the Powermax 30 any day, every day.
    Nice machines.

But my Hypertherms can use the patented FineCut technology. The chrome plated nozzle last up to 5 times longer than conventional bare nozzles. Maybe by the time the Chinese put Hypertherm out of biz, Miller plasmas will have caught up.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I to was asking myself wich to buy about 2 mos. ago I was going to go blue of course due to the high quality and never letting me down for many yrs. now, however I recently went to a trade show where my current weld store was there and I DID use both the miller and the hypertherm side by side and found there was no difference in performance. With that being said this where my MILLER sales rep informed me that hypertherm holds ALL the patends on plasmas ,so basicaly everyone is putting there parts inside a different color sheet metal (what ever that may be) and putting there name on it. So the bottom line is all the internals came from hypertherm. So why would you go to the student when you can go right to the teacher sort of the thing.

This was just my experience not saying its right or wrong, however I can tell you there is a new hypertherm sitting under my miller tig and my miller mig and i am totaly satisfied with all three of them! Good luck

Your Miller salesman is a moron, and yes a plasma of the same amperage, will cut about the same as any other brand. The guts may be totally different but the end result is the same. Its the cut quality, the reliability, and consumable life that counts.

There are zero hypertherm parts in other brands, can't really patent theory, how a salesman comes up with this crap is beyond me.

Default Torches....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Your Miller salesman is a moron, and yes a plasma of the same amperage, will cut about the same as any other brand. The guts may be totally different but the end result is the same. Its the cut quality, the reliability, and consumable life that counts.

There are zero hypertherm parts in other brands, can't really patent theory, how a salesman comes up with this crap is beyond me.
    Correct me if im wrong but I have a spectrum 625, i thought hypertherm made the torch for this unit? For whats it worth I have a Miller plasma and the next one will be a hypertherm, they are the best.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

That is quasy correct, though again no part says Hypertherm, and will only take Miller consumables. I'm talking the machines.

Such as a T-dyne, ESAB, Lncoln and others bare little resemblance to a Hypertherm, yet the end result is the same.

Now Miller has made machines for Hypertherm, but not the other way around.

Hypertherm has made guns for Miller changing hem to except Miller consumables

I found this thread through searching the forum. I hope it is okay to hyjack this thread. I am looking for a plasma cutter. I am having a hard time justifying the additional costs when the lower cost machines appear to be performing just as well.
    I'm new to welding. I have a bobcat 225G and a lincoln SP140T mig that is currently set up with flux core. My next purchase is going to be a plasma cutter. I am just a hobbiest welder. I have read quite a bit and everyone seems to recommend the miller, hypertherm, or thermodyne. My question; is there anything wrong with something like the everlast plasma cutters? What really makes these other name brand machines worth the extra money?