Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default mig vs tig aluminum

I used to work for Rocky Mountain bycicles, and I learned to TIG there. I was told that a 30% penetration TIG joint on aluminum equaled the strength of a 100% mig joint. Since then I have found this to be somewhat true. Buy whatever suits your needs and the application.

I went with an old 70's cobramatic handle, wire feeder and pulse box run off an equally old three phase Miller CP 200 three phase power source. All that only cost me $185 believe it or not. It puts out welds that are very near tig quality when it's pumpin' out thin wire. The down side is I have to run it off a three phase Bobcat welder/generator that cost me $3600 whether I'm in the field or even when I'm in the shop, at least until I can rig up some kind of rotary phase converter. Still, it's nice to be burning 16 pound spools instead of one pounders and the handle isn't so bulky either. Anybody know what size four wire extention cord I should use between the generator and the CP 200? I'm expecting to need to get 50 or 100 feet away from the generator on the truck.

Is your CP-200 set up for 208V input or 480V input? The 3-phase Bobcat puts out 480V for 3-phase, right? My CP-200 is 208V. This will make the difference in the size of extension cord you use. #12 works fine for 208V (19.5A on mine at rated output, if I remember right), and you could easily use #14 on the higher voltage. Do you have your manual? You can get it by clicking the "Service & Support" tab in the header at the top of this page.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-25-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Mig is good but Tig is going to give you quality and maximise your material usage. Also produces strongest welds
    Syncowave 200 is a good machine. I would look into the Dynasty line eather a 200 or 300. I'm not kidding folks Auto link and Auto-line is the way to go. We just outfitted the school here in VA with both units and the cost savings in power alone payed for the Machines in the first year. Running 12 machines we found our savings to be right around 724 KWH a DAY.

Purchased a Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig welder today. I'm looking forward to using it.

I've never welded with a spool gun and I'm not an expert on strength of TIG vs. MIG. But here is what I do know:
    Tig is much slower than Mig and you have some length to cover. It will take forever to Tig.
    If you Tig it, you will become an excellent Tig welder.
    If you buy a Syncro 250 (I have one) you will love it and find all kinds of things to Tig with it.
    It's a boat for gosh sake, My Kirkey drag race seat is Mig welded and I place my life in it. I think Mig is sufficient, but you do have other things to base your choice on.

dreworm,

your absolutly right about it just being a boat issue. I purchased a Sycrowave 200 over the spoolgun due several up coming projects involving SS. I'm very happy with the 200 so far, forgot alot about Tig welding, its going to take me a little time to get every weld looking good. Thanks for your input.