Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stainless Steel Crawfish (seafood) boiler - Miller 211

I have wanted a stainless steel burner / boiler for a while now. Hot salty water ruins all the steel ones with time and they eventually need to be replaced. I am hoping this one will last a while because it is built with 304L stainless.

This is actually the second one I made and will be a gift for my father-in-law who taught me how to boil these hot and tasty Louisiana crawfish (I grew up in the mountains in California and always thought "crawdads" were just good for bait, until I moved here).

The flame this bad boy puts off is intense and can boil a 100 quart pot of seasoned water in just a few short minutes. In fact, it can easily turn the rungs of the burner glowing orange.

(And I'm sure I'll get comments about the glass table... haha. I was desperate for a good flat surface for tacking as I have not completed a welding table just yet.)

The Miller 211 worked like a champ. I am using 0.030" 308L with 98% argon 2% CO2. My heat and wire speed settings varied a little on some of the thin pieces, but I was able to achieve spray settings quite easily welding the 3/8" round stock. There was almost no splatter. I was very pleased with the little amount of clean-up needed.

Last edited by Lindley; 05-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Cool

Pretty Cool. Never had Crawfish...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default hmm

nice job cant wait to get out and get some bugs to boil up i do need a better burner may have to copy yours my niece the crawfish queen

Wow. That’s very cool. I must say you’re very talented. We also boiled crawfish at home. My dad boiled crawfish for us.

Sorry, double post, see below.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 02-02-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Crawdad season is coming up soon, get ready for a Hot Tub Party, Louisiana Style. How many pounds of Mud Bugs will that cook in one batch? You make any pots to go with those burners? Your location had me thrown off, New Orleans Northern California. I knew something wasn't right about that, then read the post, a transplant. But it looks like your catching on to the way things ought to be.

Thumbs up

Mudbugs are good......but...... I could really hurt myself on shrimp.... espescially the big fat late season ones.....

NEAT PROJECT....

keep us posted with pics and progress on the pot......

especially the maiden boil.......

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Looks great but the combination of stainless steel, salt and heat can cause stress corrosion cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    How many pounds of Mud Bugs will that cook in one batch? You make any pots to go with those burners?
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I've boiled about 10 to 12 batches with the burner so far. It was made for a 80 to 120 quart pot. I use a 100 quart and, depending on the initial temperature of the water, I can get it to a rolling boil in under 10 minutes, usually much less.

Despite the salt water and heat, I haven't seen any stress cracks or broken welds. Seems to holding up well!

I never thought about making a pot; it's just too easy to buy one with the basket and lid ready to go.

One thing is for sure, it's Mardi Gras time! Les bon temps roulette!