Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default round rod suitable for use with bronze bushings

I'm doing a project that calls for "round rod suitable for use with bronze bushings". What kind of rod is being talked about? I've never heard of this before. Would mild steel be suitable? Would I have to use stainless? Anybody know?

Thanks in advance,
    lgranch

If its a project than my guess would be that they mean Cold rolled that has a fairly smooth finish usually, and it holds a much better tolerance than hot roll, If you need really good rod use ( Ground Round and polished )

Stainless would not be my first choice, In fact stainless on stainless will gaull and seize together lickady split. Good luck.

A little more information would probably help.

I would guess cold rolled steel as well, but there isn't enough info in your post to make a real good educated guess. What are you building?

The rod will have to slide back and forth in the bushings with little lubricant. Is this the type of information you are looking for?

Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    If its a project than my guess would be that they mean Cold rolled that has a fairly smooth finish usually, and it holds a much better tolerance than hot roll, If you need really good rod use ( Ground Round and polished )

Stainless would not be my first choice, In fact stainless on stainless will gaull and seize together lickady split. Good luck.

A little more information would probably help.

Default more infos...

radial load, side load, travel lenght, travel speed, environment cleanliness...dust etc.

many recommend polish round ground and hardened.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=linear...w=1280&bih=681

Thank you everyone for your replies. Now I know what I need to complete my project, a reciprocating hack saw. I will use a cold rolled shaft and self lubricating bronze bearings.

Thanks again,
    lgranch

I'd ask the supplier for "drill rod", it come's hard, straight, and, smooth.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill