Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Actually that is inexpensive for this unit, the problem is that the preregulator (IGBT) usually takes out the parent interconnect board which is rather expensive as is the snubber board.

I am going to have them fix it since they are going to warranty it also. I am going to get the old parts back. We have a board rework team here at work, and with there help I want to find out what failed and repair the board. On the IGBT once I can find out what the specs are on it they are not hard to find a match. I highly doubt Miller makes the IGBT's and they are all just a voltage and amperage spec component also. I have some IGBT's sitting on my desk that are 10KV 200A there huge. But a 200A 600V IGBT should run about $200

I just hope there right on it is only the components they quoted and the machine will be back up the way it should be for the agreed amount.
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

i suppose you could find one, its made by SemiKron, its a 1phase rectifier with a 3 phase bridge inverter using trench igbts. Not something thats regularly on the shelf

Have you seen a part number on them? I was going to call my rep at allied electronics and see if they have the exact one. I talked to him earlier and they have some trench structured IGBT's on hand I just don't know the full specs. I am worried if this one has failed when is the other on going to fail. Especially with it being the final output all the load stick welding has been put on the one. Which I have been stick welding a bunch lately building fence. I have burned like 25lbs of rod since I had tigged the last time with that machine.
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

AS I said, that Module generally takes out the mother interconnect board, and is protected from voltage spikes from the snubber board. Replacing one doesn't really help you. And your best bet is to leave it to the pros. The Miller CST techs are heavily trained for this reason.

Well now they are saying the arc start board is cooked too, I wonder what will be next. This has really made me doubt Miller, they made a machine that has self destructed and have no idea why. I wonder if the boards are sitting there cooking when the fan is not running???? I would rather have to clean the machine out once a month than this. Have you heard miller coming out with any storage requirements for the inverter machines to see if the electronics will live longer that way? I never leave my machines plugged in while not in use in fear of a storm taking it out. Millers tech support won't even talk to me about this, and I am loosing faith in the shop its at since its just one thing after another at the moment.
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

Suprise, suprise!

Does you miller service center have any Miller CST techs, or is it a bunch of guys that were hired to fix welders?

Cause a simple prepower inspection would have told them everything that they needed to know.

Miller said this shop was the closest Miller service center, so i would kinda think they would be trained, but I can't say for sure I do have my doubts.
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

Ouch. Hope it all works out for you. I smoked my Dynasty after a week. Bought brand new and was fixed under warranty.

Please keep us updated.

I was getting pretty excited about buying a 200dx, but when I heard about the 280 coming out soon I decided to sit back and wait. Im really getting leary now hearing about these costly problems, and as the machines get old and outdated parts will only get more expensive. Trust me im a tried and true miller guy, but im up in the air now. And there aint nothing more that I love than buying a new machine!