Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default How to weld cast iron

I have to weld some 1" cast iron plates together and I have never welded cast iron before. I've heard you to heat it before and after you weld it to prevent cracking but I do not know much else about welding cast iron. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverAstudent View Post
    I have to weld some 1" cast iron plates together and I have never welded cast iron before. I've heard you to heat it before and after you weld it to prevent cracking but I do not know much else about welding cast iron. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I am no expert on welding Cast iron so hopefully our forum guys will jump in on this, But I have done a lot of it over the years so here is a little of what I know. Preheat is always good with cast Iron. Don't use Mig (GMAW). Use Stick (SMAW) process or Oxy Acetylene (OAW) if stick is not available. Use a rod that is designed for Cast iron like Ni-Rod or some other nickel based alloy. Any other rod could make the joint crack due to rigidity. Welding process usually causes metal to shrink and Cast Iron does not like to shrink when welded. Poor quality cast usually does not take to welding too good. I was also taught that if you have to form the edge's, make them "u" grooves and not "v's".

You can use an oven to preheat if the plates are small enough, and you will want to heat as much as possible up to 400 degrees but anything to get it closer to welding temp is better than nothing. Never weld it while it's cold. If it's too big to preheat to what you want then weld in small short (1/2") increments and slightly hammer peen the weld while it cools for 3 minutes then move onto the next weld. I've never had any problems with these techniques. I've seen people cheat by using other methods involving mig or using the SS/ 70-18 methods but even though those "emergency" methods work on occasion they are not recommended. Good Luck!

Default re: How to weld cast iron

Besides the experts on this forum (I'm not one of them), a great website to check out for welding cast iron as well as many other weld discussions is www.weldingtipsandtricks.com. He also shows you some good tips on setting up your miller welders.

I'd recommend brazing the plates verses welding, does the weld or braze have to be ground flat to the plate afterwards, what is it too, give some more information, some times I use a nickel arc welding rod, some times I do it cold with nickel rod, however my favorite way is to braze it.
    Give me the application, with braze you need to leave the build up, if it has to be ground smoth then I weld cold with tig, A ear on an engine block, I warm it and arc weld it.