Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Smith Regulator problem

This regulator came came with my MM252. Just got a refilled C25 bottle and when I turned it on, it did this:

Never saw this before. Quick fixes?

http://youtu.be/amBoK***Dhw

PS. Well geez..... they won't let me post a video here. Unless I don't know what I'm doing.
    All I can say is the regulated side gauge needle vibrates full deflection when I start cranking up the pressure. Strange.
    Last edited by Gobysky; 08-03-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

what model smith??

the one that came with my MM350P is unmarked....

sent you a PM....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Regulator "CHATTERING"

What it looks like to me is a burr or other obstruction between the valve and seat on the diaphragm... not allowing it to seat properly..
    This appears to be a manufacturing defect..

This equipment looks brand new.. if within the 3 year warrantee Miller, should exchange it free of charge

It may just be new and stiff... only requiring a sharp rap on the side to free it... to return to normal ops.... but I tend to err on the side of caution...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-04-2012 at 06:46 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Smith Regulator problem

Thanks for your help H80N. I'll try tapping on it before returning it.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Default Using another regulator type

I understand the regulators are designed for certain gas mixtures & types. Would there be a problem with me using my Flowmeter off of my 100% Argon bottle while I'm getting the C25 regulator serviced or exchanged? Or should I just buy a cheap backup?
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gobysky View Post
    I understand the regulators are designed for certain gas mixtures & types. Would there be a problem with me using my Flowmeter off of my 100% Argon bottle while I'm getting the C25 regulator serviced or exchanged? Or should I just buy a cheap backup?
    should work just fine

http://weldingdirect.com/rearsiga1hob.html

http://weldingdirect.com/sinstagflowg.html
    Last edited by H80N; 08-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Warranty Coverage

Just called Miller customer service. Excellent service on replacing this Smith Regulator. Will have a new one in a couple of days. This problem must have been rare, since no one else has seen this issue. In the mean time, I'll always keep a spare cheap regulator laying around.

I'll give Miller an A+ on customer service.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Just called Miller customer service. Excellent service on replacing this Smith Regulator. Will have a new one in a couple of days. This problem must have been rare, since no one else has seen this issue. In the mean time, I'll always keep a spare cheap regulator laying around.

Glad they are taking care of you...... the quality of service affects all of us...

In my book, having great customer service is much more valuable in the long run than gimmicks like owner's clubs or contests.....

We have substantial investment in our equipment and it is reassuring to know the support is there in the event of problems.....

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Gobysky,

I have passed the video clip onto the engineers at Smith and will send them the regulator as soon as we get it back here. This is an unusal issue and the engineers are really curious as to what is causing it. Thank you for taking the time to make the video and pass it along.

Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Default Regulator being shipped back today

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kevin View Post
    Gobysky,

I have passed the video clip onto the engineers at Smith and will send them the regulator as soon as we get it back here. This is an unusal issue and the engineers are really curious as to what is causing it. Thank you for taking the time to make the video and pass it along.

I don't know the internal workings of the Miller Company, but I put a note in the box to make sure you get the reg. and it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for shipping the new one out so fast.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro