Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default promblems welding 3/4x2 1/4 aluminum

i have a 10 year old sychrowave 350. i am having some major issues with cracking and my tungsten keeps getting incinerated. i have use pure and Ceriated, both eventually grenade into the weld because of the heat.

i am using 100% argon with 1/8" tungsten. i have balled the tip, pointed it and used a pointed electrode with a flat end. my flow of argon is 30 cfm and i have a #6 cone.

i ran it up to 350amps

i normally use a dynasty 200 but something tells me this job is too tall and order.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

chris
    Last edited by point4five; 08-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Well I can tell you that 30 cfh is too much for a #6 cup. 15 to 18 cfh would be more like it. I would try a #8 cup and some 22 to 25cfh.

That and you may need to preheat or add some helium to your gas mix.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

How big of a pc. are you welding? You say 3/4 x 2.25 but are you welding something to it, butt welding it, welding it to something larger? What torch do you have? You may need a bigger one. You do need a bigger tungsten. Do not grind it to a flatted point. Pre-heat maybe, depends on the overall size. Need more facts. Pics would help.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Have you tried welding Aluminum with DC straight helium. It very easy to weld thick aluminum in this process. You need one tank of welding grade helium or better, Ultra Pure is the best (99.999% pure helium). Use welding rod ER4043 using an DC amp range of 200 -275. You cant use ER5356 rod it will crack most of the time. Sharpen your tungsten to a blunt taper point. It is harder to start the arc using straight helium so you might have to scratch start it the arc. Travel speed are very fast and you dont need to pre-heat the aluminum like AC welding of thick plate. This takes a little practice adding rod. You need to move in and out fast or the rod will want to blob up on you and you need keep it the shielding gas or the rod will be contaiminated. The weld will most likly have a black film on it edges just wire brush the weld to reveal your pretty weld. I have been welding thick aluminum this way since this mid 70 this way. The bad part of this is that there is a world wide shortage of helium now so finding helium might be very hard.

I have a standard weldcraft water cooled torch.

They are all T joints with the 2.25" side being the fillet weld. And the only way to clamp it is in the vertical position.

I did some preheating this morning and i was able to get it to puddle easyier but the welds are still oxidized and cracking. Im running it at about 275 amps because that seems to be as much as my tungsten can take.

Another note: this just needs to be stuck together. It is not taking a big load and the is plenty of reinforcing factors

Clean the **** out of it. If there is any oxide film on the Aluminum, it will cause issues like spitting of the electrode and it will make it harder for the arc to penetrate. I don't know much about the 350's but you will want to set your AC balance for max penetration as opposed to balanced/ max cleaning, if that is an option. Use the softer rod 4043 as well. Like others have said, preheat with torch and then focus the electrode/ arc onto the thicker or lower sections and let the heat rise and preheat the rest of the area. I don't ball electrodes either. If it balls on it's own fine but I like to focus the arc where I want it to at first especially when tack welding. Good Luck!

Cracking and oxidizing sounds to me like bad gas, gas delivery problem, or bad alum.

Are you using a gas lense that may be contaminated?

Do you know what alloy you are welding?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Another note: this just needs to be stuck together. It is not taking a big load and the is plenty of reinforcing factors

6061 with 5356 filler