Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tent Peg Puller

Love it basic and simple but geys the job done. Cheaper than a gym membership.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

This peg extractor lifts them straight up instead of side ways which breaks them. When we pulled them out by hand some side ways force was induced into the plastic pegs. If that was to happen a few times the pegs would break.
    Simple parts and simple fabrication.
    Old school.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool, good idea! It definitely does resemble a T-post puller

It is just a first class lever.
    Humans have been using them for a long time.
    Similar to a star picket remover except smaller, made from ali and adjustable for when the peg starts up.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

For car camping, I use old railroad spikes. We have some nasty hard clay around here. I did get a good deal on some forged, 4130 tent stakes at a surplus place once. I think they are for pounding through asphalt.

Wow CrMo tent pegs!
    The round steel 1 foot long tent pegs in our black soil only require 15 kilograms of force to extract but the plastic ones need between 45 & 60 kilograms. I did some wind load calcuations on Friday and applied the force to our tent, then down the guy ropes to the tent pegs.
    With a 50 kilometer an hour wind the up lift on the pegs is 60 kilograms.
    No factor of safety but should hold.
    We were prompted to do all this because our tent was dashed upon our car one windy day. On Friday I check the weather bureau wind history for the day our tent blew away and found that there were gusts to 50 kiometers an hour.
    We did not have it pegged down like we do now.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I suspect that if you put a series of holes doun the length of that "upright " that you will find more uses for that device. Just sayin.

I already have height adjustment by moving the carrabina up and down the chain.
    That is how I can extract steel tent pegs that have been driven to the ground and the plastic ones that are a few inches above it.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it