Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dialarc HF-p, post flow timer question

Hi, I'm new to this great forum, just got a Dialarc HF-p (HK234701). Everything works except the post flow timer. When I finish my weld and stop the arc, I can see arcing in the timer, and the gas and water valves(not using water valve) rattle/buzz. No post flow gas comes out of the torch. I see miller4less has a relacement timer ($218.). Does anyone know if I can wire in a solid state off-delay timer similar to this , my budget is shot from buying the welder. Any ideas would be great. Thx.

Do you really need it? Personally i'd just take it out of the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Do you really need it?
    Yes, unless he doesn't care about contaminated tungsten and weld due to no post arc cooling/shielding gas flow.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Does anyone know if I can wire in a solid state off-delay timer similar to this
    Or one such as these http://www.mcmaster.com/#repeat-cycle-timers/=gvqo0y (panel mounts about half way down the page) with a higher amperage rating. Technical term, "delay on make".
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Or one such as these http://www.mcmaster.com/#repeat-cycle-timers/=gvqo0y (panel mounts about half way down the page) with a higher amperage rating. Technical term, "delay on make".
    Shouldn't this post flow require a "delay on break" style? Arc stops, foot off pedal...time delay starts to keep gas valve open for desired anount of time?

Thx duaneb55, any chance you could draw up a wiring diagram to use one of these?
    Last edited by Cyclone; 03-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Yes, unless he doesn't care about contaminated tungsten and weld due to no post arc cooling/shielding gas flow.
    I the shops I see most operators have turned the post flow either to 1/2 second or off. When they are done a weld, I don't see them sitting at the end of the weld for 5-10 seconds waiting for the tungsten to cool down. they release the pedal and move on to the next weld, or merely lay the torch down.

Shouldn't this post flow require a "delay on break" style? Arc stops, foot off pedal...time delay starts to keep gas valve open for desired anount of time?
    The "make" or "break" is the timer start signal. On the Dialarc HF the timer is activated (started) by the closing of the NC contacts of control relay CR2. Therefore the "delay" timer is started upon the "make" signal from the NC contacts of de-energized CR2.

A look at the machine circuit diagram should clarify.

Page 13.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o315e_mil.pdf
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

This http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70172628 would be a better choice as it's a multi-function unit and lets you pick the delay mode best suited for the application and control configuration.

Download the data sheet for a full description of modes operation and control circuits.

A full selection of accessories (panel mounts, bases, latches, adapter plugs, etc.) are available as well.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL

Thx Duane,
    Sounds good, I'll let you know how it works. While testing and making my diagram, I discovered that the 120v signal is actually 144v at the timer (TD1) and the front panel receptacle. Do you think that's acceptable or is there something amis with the 115v transformer (T2)?
    Hobart Engine Driven DC stick, Chry slant 6
    AO Smith A225U
    Lincoln SP 175T
    Miller Dialarc HF-P
    JD Squared ModIII Tube Bender

Thx Duane,
    Sounds good, I'll let you know how it works. While testing and making my diagram, I discovered that the 120v signal is actually 144v at the timer (TD1) and the front panel receptacle. Do you think that's acceptable or is there something amis with the 115v transformer (T2)?
    Sounds as if the primary input power jumpers are set up for 200VAC input and the machine is connected to 230V.
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL