Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multimatic 200 Questions

I'm a former diesel truck mechanic who used to do some stick and oxy acetylene welding/brazing/cutting 40 years ago. I've played with a MIG machine a little bit in the last few months. I'm now retired and still do a lot of mechanical work (never stopped doing that sort of thing). I want to get back into welding and build my skills in stick, MIG and TIG and I'm looking for a multi-process welder.

Anyway, here's my questions:

1. Could those who have welded with the Multimatic 200 give me their impressions?

2. Has anyone welded aluminum with the Spoolmate 100? What do you think?

Please give me any feedback that you have as I've checked with two dealers here in Wichita, KS and nobody has one that I can even look at yet! Thanks in advance!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBryant View Post
    1. Could those who have welded with the Multimatic 200 give me their impressions?
    Steve
    The Multimatic is a very nice MIG welder. Arc characteristics pretty much identical whether you run on 230V or 115V. I absolutely love it and normally run it gas shielded (C25), .030 wire. It is very smooth and for such a small box it definitly feels like a bigger welder. It is very easy to MIG with. The adjustments for MIG are a bit limited (wire speed and voltage are it as far as I can tell). I haven't figured out how to adjust run-in (could be a bit faster - but its close for mild steel) and post flow seems to cut off fast (but no porosity seen in mild steel).

I have not tried TIG or stick but be warned it is not primary a TIG machine. No high frequency and from what I can tell, limited adjustments. But it does have a separate gas valve for TIG.

If you want to get serious about TIG, I would suggest going elsewhere. If you want a nice portable MIG, with occasional stick and occassional TIG (more like emergancy) go for it.

Everyone who has tried my 200 loves the MIG output. We had a big weld fest with the Boyscouts and aftwards some of the adults that weld all the time were comparing it to a Hobart 175. Time after time the description was "smooth". Not a lot of spatter. Very easy to make pretty welds. On 115 3/16" is about the limit (it will let you select 1/4" - autoset- but I'd suggest you pre-heat a bit - looked a bit ropey for first 1/4-1/2 of travel).

I bought mine and it took 3 weeks to arrive.

You need to compare it to a Miller 211 - might save yourself some money if the 211 is a better fit (note I didn't say "better" or "good enough" - they are different).
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Con Fuse,
    Thanks very much for your reply! I actually got to see a MultiMatic 200 for the first time today and I was impressed.

I'm looking for a welder that is small, very portable and that is a multiprocess welder that emphasizes MIG. I want to rebuild skills and acquire new ones. The Multimatic 211 looks to be a good machine, but it is physically much larger than what I'm looking for. I'll mostly be building some projects out of mild steel or doing some repair work.

I'd like to have the stick capability for occasional use. I plan to get the TIG contractor's kit and maybe the spoolgun for use as learning tools.

Thanks Again,

Steve
    Last edited by SteveBryant; 07-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Default YouTube Video Review of Multimatic 200

For anyone who would like to see a fairly decent video review of this welder, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn2SCnFHMjY, The guy seems to have a moderate amount of experience as a welder and he's tried the welder in a variety of processes that it can do.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Multimatic 200 from Baker Gas on-line. They were great to deal with BTW. The welder arrived yesterday and I tried it out today (MIG mode) and I'm very impressed! I'm looking forward to getting some more practice, but this machine makes someone with modest skills look pretty decent right off the bat.

I haven't tried the stick mode yet, nor have I added the proper 220 outlets in my garage yet. I didn't buy the TIG contractor's kit now, but I like the option of adding it later.

It's a good, compact welder that's extremely easy to use!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBryant View Post
    For anyone who would like to see a fairly decent video review of this welder, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn2SCnFHMjY, The guy seems to have a moderate amount of experience as a welder and he's tried the welder in a variety of processes that it can do.
    I think watching paint dry is more exciting than this guys video.

I went ahead and bought the Multimatic 200 without the TIG torch and I've had it for about a week. I'm really amazed that I'm making really pretty decent MIG welds after a small amount of practice. I have a lot to learn, but the welder with the Elite AutoSet feature is super easy to use.

I sent in the rebate coupon for the free FX-30 ArcStation (promotion good through end of September) and it arrived today. The ArcStation looks to be a good, portable welding/fabrication table too.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper!

I know this is an old thread, but I have been using the multimatic 200 with the spoolgun for a few months. All I can say is I am a beginner, and I have seen guys make a living welding crappier than what I have done with this little welder.
    The only problem I have is my bead appears cold and stands high at the start of my weld. After about 3/4" to 1", my bead lays proper and almost looks like a tig welded stack of nickels. I am welding 1/8" and 3/16" walled aluminum tubing only. Oh, and I am also suffering from a lot of black soot, but I understand it's normal, so I just brush off when done. So far I have not bothered to plug into anything other than my normal 115V outlet.

Quote "The only problem I have is my bead appears cold and stands high at the start of my weld"

-- Try preheating your material.

Quote "Oh, and I am also suffering from a lot of black soot, but I understand it's normal, so I just brush off when done."

-- Try pushing the gun instead of pulling about a 15 degrre angle in the direction of travel. Turn your gas up to 25-30 cfh.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

You may have better results on 220v to get your bead to lay better on starts, especially since you were talking about 1/8".