Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help me understand this BS symbol.

This is a British Standard symbol. I know its a plug weld. But where?

Default is it a sopot or projection weld?

Looks like a spot weld or a projection weld, might be mistaken though
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

The Peoples Republic of Southern California

That would be in the only hole there seems to be

The rest is a mechanical drawing of the part and has no other holes and only one welding symbol and i think it is on your side of the arrow
    but there are no references as to what the notations in the tail mean
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
    OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
    Jackson EQC master (old)
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Spectrum 625 Extreme
    Suitcase 12RC
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Victor O/A
    Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
    Half a ton of tooling
    Rusty old truck

Default bs weld symbol,

I think the 8x refers to the spot welds , 8 in total, the 4x refers to 4 welds per side of the unit , as it it kinda a laminated sandwich, 4 welds topside 4 welds on the bottom. this details the 8 total welds req'd
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Default That's how I read it...

Quote Originally Posted by sturugged View Post
    I think the 8x refers to the spot welds , 8 in total, the 4x refers to 4 welds per side of the unit , as it it kinda a laminated sandwich, 4 welds topside 4 welds on the bottom. this details the 8 total welds req'd
    That's how I read it...but what is with the dashed line on top? Is that a bad way of saying stitch weld far side?
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by sturugged View Post
    I got that part. Im thrown off by the arrow pointed at the center. I think its a plug weld on the near side of the arrow. like this?

I would think it would call for something like this.

Last edited by travisc454; 07-19-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Default weld symbol

If the symbol is on the solid line it means near side. If it is on the dashed line it means far side. The circular symbol can meam plug weld or projection weld.

Quote Originally Posted by travisc454 View Post
    I got that part. Im thrown off by the arrow pointed at the center. I think its a plug weld on the near side of the arrow. like this?

I would think it would call for something like this.

AGAIN...IT IS NOT A PLUG WELD!!! There is no hole to "plug." It is a SPOT weld at the crosshair/tip of the arrow...
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by caddidaddy55 View Post
    If the symbol is on the solid line it means near side. If it is on the dashed line it means far side. The circular symbol can meam plug weld or projection weld.
    Thats what I thought. so my last post/pictures were correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    AGAIN...IT IS NOT A PLUG WELD!!! There is no hole to "plug." It is a SPOT weld at the crosshair/tip of the arrow...
    whats with the SCREAMING. I think your wrong. A spot weld at the tip of the arrow would not even join the pieces together.

It is plug weld cross hatch lines designate hole or it wouldnt be centered FS is far side NS is near side and as for the broken lines on top of the arrow its probably to designate the holes inside the piece most likely a poor detailer did this becuase there is no need for the hidden lines if it was a stitch weld it would have pitch and length desingnated such as 1inch on 3 inch center.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts