Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Need advice on bending 1" .90 wall for project

I need to bend some .90 wall 1" diameter steel tube 180 degrees with a 4 inch radius. I'll then weld it to the back end of a motorcycle frame for a fender mounting point, but it is not structural. It carries no weight and the original frame is not altered except that instead of the top two frame spars just terminating straight back, I want to add this piece to give it a nice rounded, finished appearance.

I have never had to bend pipe before, and I'm not sure to go about it. I cannot find anything to weld to a plate and use as a die that's large enough. Could I possibly make the die out of a hardwood, and then bend the tube with O/A heat? The commercially available benders are either very expensive, or do not seem like they will accomplish this type of bend. If I am wrong, please point me in the right direction.

On the other hand, does anyone know of pre bent steel available in these dimensions? Everything I've found has either been exhaust tubing, or when it's in 1" it's 45 degree bends or the wrong radius. The radius has to be spot on, as I have to match it to the existing two frame spars that are running parallel to each other.

Thanks in advance, hope I've explained this well enough.

First it should read .090 wall not .90.

If you find a ring or half circle it would most likely be easier to adjust it to fit than if you try to bend one yourself. I'm sure someone here has a bender with 1" dies that would be close.

If you make a homemade die it must be tight & best would be to have an outer shoe also. You can try filling it with sand to keep it from kinking. If you use heat it must be uniform as it will not bend correctly if not.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Whoops. Yeah, typo there - .090

Do you know of a source for a 1" ring then? Cutting something existing to fit my needs certainly sounds like the easier order of business.

Change your user cp to indicate where you live, then maybe you will find a guy close by with a bender. I have a 1" die for my bender, but I think it may be a 5" radius. Otherwise find a local fab shop that does bending.