Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pipe root pass need help

Having trouble with my root pass on 6 g pipe. My landing is 3/32 my gap is the same Im runing aabout 83 amps uphill. My problem is everynow and then i get small areas of under cut on either the top or bottom. While im running the pass all seems well but once i brush off the sleg on the inside i see it. Any tips ?
    Thanks Bryan

Run a little cooler maybe and slow down a bit. Undercut on the root pass shouldn't necessarily matter as long as you put a cover pass on right?

Your running to cold and not moving fast enough go 87-91 amps. 1/8 inch rod 6010 heavier true nickel sized landing ..... That and practice your not ready to test is the pipe two inch heavy wall xx or ?

Oh yeah run downhill unless the procedure states uphill

Default root on pipe

Quote Originally Posted by drpipe View Post
    Oh yeah run downhill unless the procedure states uphill
    Running up hill 6" sch 40 i bought a 20' stick rented a beveler so i can practice a lot. I tried to rush it and took a test. When they cut it up and bent it the root pass had some porosity and on one small spot it looked like the key hole didnt open up on the top, so it didnt penetrate both side completely. Both face bends where good no problems there just having problems with the.root. if any of yall pipe guys got any tips or ticks on root passes let me know i would apprecate it.
    Thanks Bryan

it's hard to tell the problem without being able to watch and see what's goin on, is it undercutting or is it just not breaking down the land? if its undercutting You may be running a little to slow speed up take a little bigger steps and come back into puddle.

The key to welding a good root pass is the keyhole... Now tack the coupons in four places put the longest tack on the bottem side of pipe then set your coupon in the 6 g position feather each edge of tack but don't grind the whole tack grab your remote and chuck up an 1/8 rod in your trusty stinger and set your amps between 87-92 and run down one side of the pipe more amps if needed as you burn over tacks slow down and turn down remote if your key hole gets to big.....: remember with 6010 you can weld a lil move out of the puddle weld a lil move back you'll get it ...: practice using the remote it's good for beguiners much easier to change amps than to speed up or slow down and by the time you get to the bottem of that coupon it's going to be hotter than Dallas in August ..... After your roots in look in with a flashlight and scrape the root with a rod a inspect grind it out but do not blue the metal a lot of guys grind it too thin just grind it down and go burn that hot pass in and any problems with that root should burn away as long as you have complete fusion if your doing it right ....... Have someone look for you ....... Your root should be glowing orange and about to pop through with your hot pass ..... That is why on a test I use 1/8 for root on a test then burn a 5/32 for hot pass ..... Good luck

Maybe try a little more gap 1/8''. I had a guy that would always wanted 1/8'' gap.Your setup is fine, just a matter of you doing it. Play with the heat, you cannot always go by the numbers on the machines. All settings will vary so it's up to you to find your setting. All 83 gives you is a starting point on that machine. Practice . Downhill is awesome,try it and you will enjoy the difference. unfortunately all our work is uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by drpipe View Post
    The key to welding a good root pass is the keyhole... Now tack the coupons in four places put the longest tack on the bottem side of pipe then set your coupon in the 6 g position feather each edge of tack but don't grind the whole tack grab your remote and chuck up an 1/8 rod in your trusty stinger and set your amps between 87-92 and run down one side of the pipe more amps if needed as you burn over tacks slow down and turn down remote if your key hole gets to big.....: remember with 6010 you can weld a lil move out of the puddle weld a lil move back you'll get it ...: practice using the remote it's good for beguiners much easier to change amps than to speed up or slow down and by the time you get to the bottem of that coupon it's going to be hotter than Dallas in August ..... After your roots in look in with a flashlight and scrape the root with a rod a inspect grind it out but do not blue the metal a lot of guys grind it too thin just grind it down and go burn that hot pass in and any problems with that root should burn away as long as you have complete fusion if your doing it right ....... Have someone look for you ....... Your root should be glowing orange and about to pop through with your hot pass ..... That is why on a test I use 1/8 for root on a test then burn a 5/32 for hot pass ..... Good luck
    He is asking tips for doing this test uphill, not downhill.
    Takes more practice going uphill compare to downhill "" in my humble opinion ". When I've done the same test, I use a 3/32 gap and landing for a 1/8 rod.
    Like drpipe, 4 tacks and a longest tacks at the bottom, I jam the rod, not to hard though, pointing the rod 5 to 10 degree below the center of the pipe, moving up, and only whipping it out of the puddle if it seems like my keyhole is going to open up to much, when you get good at it and have the right amp setting, you dont even have to whip it and it made the best root reinforcement for me. If you have a steady keyhole that wants to open too much reduce your amps.
    But everybody has their own techniques and when you get it, it's like " wow, I cant believe it's that easy""
    Good luck

Get that rod in there and burn at comfortable amperage. Practice Practice Practice. The best tip I can give is get that rod in there as close as possible without it sticking. The closer you keep it the cooler and narrower the bead. The more stickout the wider and hotter the bead. Practice on keeping the stickout tight and consistent. The other tip is on 6g I start in an ackward position so I finish the weld in a comfortable position.