Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default from owners manual

Input amps 52 at rated outputMax Recommended Standard Fuse or circuit breaker Rating In Amperes 80
    50A may be pushing it a little, but I have welded at 200A and never popped the breaker. The torch cable gets pretty hot laying across your leg though.

the miller wiring post up a couple the guy is using a 50A plug on a Sync 250

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie22 View Post
    The tech support was emailing me told me that the 200 required an 80 amper and the diversion took a 30 amper. Well if it will run off 50 then I'll prob be better off with the Syncrowave.
    Don't forget that tranny tigs have a power surge upon start, hence 80amp breaker or time delay fuses. Don't know if the current model Sync200 comes with a PFC, but that would offset the surge but consume loads of power on idle.

No such problems with an inverter.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by caddidaddy55 View Post
    Input amps 52 at rated outputMax Recommended Standard Fuse or circuit breaker Rating In Amperes 80
    50A may be pushing it a little, but I have welded at 200A and never popped the breaker. The torch cable gets pretty hot laying across your leg though.

the miller wiring post up a couple the guy is using a 50A plug on a Sync 250

So then I need a 80 amper then mainly for just the initial start is what your saying? And should I have one of the 4 prong plugs then? Do you wire those up with two hots like a 50amp plug but you have 2 grounds sorta saying than the 3 prong plug with just 1.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Don't forget that tranny tigs have a power surge upon start, hence 80amp breaker or time delay fuses. Don't know if the current model Sync200 comes with a PFC, but that would offset the surge but consume loads of power on idle.

No such problems with an inverter.

So which machine would you recommend then? Im torn between which machine will suite me better, they both have good pros and cons.

I have the diversion 180. I bought it because it is portable and I do alot of 1/8 aluminum. It does what I need it to do but if I had my choice I would have bought a Syncrowave 200. At the same time I was buying a Trailblazer 302 which made it a money thing.

Default 80A breaker

Like the manual says 80A is the recommended MAX breaker. Most guys will tell you 50A is adequate. I have both welded stick and tig at 200A and never popped a breaker.

I don't what the money difference is but being able to do stick would be a big plus. As long as portability isn't a issue the 200 is to me a lot more machine. I think the current model has a 110 outlet on the machine.
    The diversion will be a quiet running machine where as the 200 will be noisy.

Default 50 amp

I've run my Sync 200 off a 50 AMP breaker years and never had any issues. It doesn't seem to spike the power bill much when I'm doing a lot of welding, maybe $5.00 in a month (?). I believe a transformer machine is more reliable than an inverter, seeing all the posts on their Dynasty inverters, but I'm sure they all can have issues.
    Yea, it's big and heavy and takes up floor space, but then again nobody is going to carry it off by themselves either.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie22 View Post
    So which machine would you recommend then? Im torn between which machine will suite me better, they both have good pros and cons.
    Since you are an experienced tigger and cost of power don't matter, get the Sync. You will be able to weld a bit thicker material.

But why possy out? Get yourself a Dynasty200 or 280 and master the welding universe! If ya don't like it, you can get top dollar on the street.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Way too much "noise" is made about the power savings of an inverter vs a transformer based machine. For the average home user (non-production shop), the difference in power consumption will be IN THE NOISE LEVEL.

The lack of operator control (balance, pulse, etc) combined with the lack of a stick welding capability rule out the entire Diversion line for me.

As most on here know, I'm a dyed in the wool "blue guy", but I'd look at the TA185 vs the Sync 200 over a Diversion any day.

Another thing, is that you may seriously look at the used market for Sync 200's. The machines have proven to be very reliable. On the other hand, if buying an inverter, I'd lean towards a new machine (with warranty).
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands