Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DRPIPE nailed it, i have this saying, i also use it in investing in the stock and bond market, "if you want to make money, then follow the welding rod", basically go to the locations booming in the energy business, search out the better corps. involved, then apply, once started as a welder, things will fall into place, this is one of the trades that are quickly noticed by the higher ups when there is an employee with exceptional skills and work ethics, many times there will be in house training available, far more valuable than being in the class room. work goes in cycles, right now this country is ready for a huge domestic boom in fossil fuel exploration, it would be a shame to miss out on the open door opportunity of this cycle, sitting in a class room. also as stated by our union guys, getting into the right union may suite you just fine. my opinion is to get your foot in the door now, you have enough skills, the work is there, go do the research as where to go. good luck to you, I wish the very best for you and your family. Kevin

if your gonna spend that kind of money on school, skip it get a rig and some pipe and learn it and take your 6g test, then you have papers in hand which would be a plus. you can go structural or o-beams then. im learning pipe now. i have 3 and 4 but you can always learn more

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    DRPIPE nailed it, i have this saying, i also use it in investing in the stock and bond market, "if you want to make money, then follow the welding rod", basically go to the locations booming in the energy business, search out the better corps. involved, then apply, once started as a welder, things will fall into place, this is one of the trades that are quickly noticed by the higher ups when there is an employee with exceptional skills and work ethics, many times there will be in house training available, far more valuable than being in the class room. work goes in cycles, right now this country is ready for a huge domestic boom in fossil fuel exploration, it would be a shame to miss out on the open door opportunity of this cycle, sitting in a class room. also as stated by our union guys, getting into the right union may suite you just fine. my opinion is to get your foot in the door now, you have enough skills, the work is there, go do the research as where to go. good luck to you, I wish the very best for you and your family. Kevin
    I just want to thank everyone for their words of advice, coming from professionals point of view. As you all know, everyone will pound you to go to school. I understand school is the building blocks to your education and future, but I believe in trades, sometimes you are better to work. I have a lot of background and experience in welding and fabrication, and I have spent some time on pipe. So I think I am going to continue my practice and building up a welding rig, and then get my foot in the door.

I have previously had an opportunity at the Local 597 PipeFitters as mentioned in a few of the above post. I had a bit of misfortune dealing with them, and ended up where I am today.

Now, that we have some things squared away and narrowed down. Who has some info on the current jobs and companies in the refinery industry, along with locations. To be real honest, my hope was to end up near the Texas/Oklahoma area, I have always loved it out there. But I will fly where the work takes me.
    My TOYS...
    -Millermatic 250 mig
    -Syncrowave 200 Tig/Stick
    --2008 Dodge Cummins--

My future toy...
    --Miller Trailblazer 302 diesel--

i was up late the other night watching a one hour special on fox news, hosted by lou dobbs, the topic was "where are the jobs", apparently, there are many jobs to be had, most or if not all, in the skilled trades, our schools are leaning away from this, pushing for more white collar jobs, welding was one of the trades that was mentioned as a hard position to fill in this tv program, a company in Pennsylvania was having problems filling the job openings, all welding related, this company was interviewed by fox news, may by, do a search, this was very interesting, especially to a man in your situation. burn those rods up kid don't let this skill be lost as have many of our grand fathers have gone by the wayside.

Williston North Dakota, Gillette wyoming, and Cheyenne wyoming area are all using welders with their own rigs on pipelines. their tests are simple: pass a 6g on the pipe sixe that they are using and you are good to go, if you can maintain quality welds. if you are gonna try pipelining, you will want a linclon pipeliner, SA-200, SAE-300 dc welder. normally they will have you running with 6010 bead rod and 7014. make sure you have a pancake. no pipeline welder welds with other than a pancake.

Quote Originally Posted by mcadams View Post
    Williston North Dakota, Gillette wyoming, and Cheyenne wyoming area are all using welders with their own rigs on pipelines. their tests are simple: pass a 6g on the pipe sixe that they are using and you are good to go, if you can maintain quality welds. if you are gonna try pipelining, you will want a linclon pipeliner, SA-200, SAE-300 dc welder. normally they will have you running with 6010 bead rod and 7014. make sure you have a pancake. no pipeline welder welds with other than a pancake.
    Thank you for that info sir. That is funny you mention a Pancake, my welding instructor in HS knew I wanted to work on the pipeline, so for graduation he gave me a pancake kind of as a joke. What brand is most popular? I know there is a lot of "opinions," about the style pancake you have on the pipelines. The California guys get grief all the time about their style pancake...haha.
    My TOYS...
    -Millermatic 250 mig
    -Syncrowave 200 Tig/Stick
    --2008 Dodge Cummins--

My future toy...
    --Miller Trailblazer 302 diesel--

Quote Originally Posted by mcadams View Post
    7014?! Shoot, we have to run 7010 or the hyppe rod. 5p+ with a 5 for the root and hot pass depending on the the tester, then 3's all the way out.

The Lincolns mentioned above are nice, ran the 300, and a Ranger 10 for a while, but the Pipe pro 304 is all that and then some. I have to do alot of mig and the Lincoln aren't as smooth and running 5p+ for the root.......its like butter!

7014 on pipeline? you sure about that?

Default Looking for advice, preferably from Pipe Welders.

Every pipeline I've ever been on was either 8010 all the way out or 8010 bead 8018 out or 6010 7018. They haven't burnt hippy rod since I was a helper ...... Yeah I hate to say it unless you have a Lincoln on your rig set up pipeliner style they won't let you on the job .... Miller is frowned upon in the pipeliner world

I hate to say it unless you have a Lincoln on your rig set up pipeliner style they won't let you on the job .... Miller is frowned upon in the pipeliner world[/QUOTE]
    I don't know about that one there is millers on pipeline up here in canada anyways.