Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default diversion 180 clamp on meter test

Has anyone done an amp metrr test on this machine??? My meter only does ac current so i set the machine at 180A and was getting a reading between 127 and 140a. This machine is about a month old. I havent done a dc current test. Has anyone got a similar reading??? Is my machine broke???

Machine's probably fine but there's likely a screw loose with the operator.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

So am i not suppost to get the full 180A reading on the meter???

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Machine's probably fine but there's likely a screw loose with the operator.
    That's a helpful answer, even for those of us that didn't ask it. It's quite unfortunate that Miller owners cannot come here for answers instead of abuse, but that's the reputation this forum carries... Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    So am i not suppost to get the full 180A reading on the meter???

You should try several different locations along the work lead and even the ground lead and compare your measurements. Location, location, location can make an incredible difference in your measurements.

Clamp meter is NEVER going to read correct if the unit has high frequency, and may damage it. Even if the HF was turned off, the unit may never get to 180 amps unless the unit was loaded to the max. Thats with the correct and largest tungsten and pretty much dead shorted. In other words if your machine is welding fine, it's working fine.

I don't load tig machines with a load bank in tig, only in the stick setting and only to its data plate specification.

Thanks alot cruizer.. When i have to do a calibration on our maxstar units at work which are dc only machines i get an almost exact reading (on a dc test) so i yhought it would be the same for ac... Anyways thanks again..very helpful