Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

It's hard to be humble when deep down I'm a supercharged *** machine who controls molten metal with a magic wand all day ... I make as much or more money than most 4 year collage grads I can leave to go fishing whenever I want and can tell the boss to kiss my stinger .......

I am a journeyman welder in alberta passed my test a year ago and the only open groove roots we ever did where with 6010 tig and mig never herd of it done with a 7018.

Quote Originally Posted by weld007 View Post
    I am a journeyman welder in alberta passed my test a year ago and the only open groove roots we ever did where with 6010 tig and mig never herd of it done with a 7018.
    If you went to NAIT, the instructors should've demo'd a 7018 open root,fill and cap on plate in any position. At least in 1992 we did. Bob.

I did go to NAIT, how would you set it up the same as with a 6010?

Quote Originally Posted by weld007 View Post
    That makes two of us that have never heard of this but that don't mean it's not being done somewhere. I never seen 7018 bridge a gap very well at all myself. I could see it done if the land was kept small and the pipe jammed but that wouldn't cut it with QC anywhere I've ever welded where the fit up and root has to be inspected and signed off on. I would like to see it done..

It was a demo after all, and we were encouraged to try it. It was done on 3/8" plate open root and darned if I can remember what the gap and land were. You put two 3/32 7018 in your Bernard stinger, one to start and the next was pointing straight up, so when you'd reach about the halfway point, you'd pull out and quickly bend down the 2nd rod and hit the keyhole while its still glowing, that way you'd get a good tie-in. It sounds weird and I'm trying to give a good visual.

My son who just recently moved back to Alberta from Ontario(after 5 years), roll welded with 7018, root,fill and cap, not a lick of 6010 in their shop. He's now learning to root with 6010 and darned if that kid didn't get it right the first time. He'll be testing for his pressure ticket right away and has high hopes to be running my rig....soon. Bob.

I think i will have to try it..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12R View Post
    That makes two of us that have never heard of this but that don't mean it's not being done somewhere. I never seen 7018 bridge a gap very well at all myself. I could see it done if the land was kept small and the pipe jammed but that wouldn't cut it with QC anywhere I've ever welded where the fit up and root has to be inspected and signed off on. I would like to see it done..
    I'm pretty sure you'd push that rod tight in the gap and watch for the edges of the rod burning and keep dragging, no whipping, no increasing your arc length, keep the heat steady.

a heavy 3/32 land and a 1/8 gap, machine set to about 73 amps just stuff and drag if everything is right. Its not a proceedure id want to use on a boiler patch or anything. Only really useful on pipe where you can obtain a really good fitup.
    Feather starts and stops with a grinder and pipefitter wheel and go again. On pipe the 7018 tends to want to close the gap up on you. 7018 welds must shrink more than 10's or 11's ? If the gap closes drop the pipefitter through, without the gap you will not obtain proper penetration. Not overly hard with everything setup right, fitup is the key...

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie_1986 View Post
    a heavy 3/32 land and a 1/8 gap, machine set to about 73 amps just stuff and drag if everything is right. Its not a proceedure id want to use on a boiler patch or anything. Only really useful on pipe where you can obtain a really good fitup.
    Feather starts and stops with a grinder and pipefitter wheel and go again. On pipe the 7018 tends to want to close the gap up on you. 7018 welds must shrink more than 10's or 11's ? If the gap closes drop the pipefitter through, without the gap you will not obtain proper penetration. Not overly hard with everything setup right, fitup is the key...
    Fit up is first and always the key.