Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

    ****.... I live way out in the sticks but I am not a moron or a hillbilly and I don't even drink .... But I do love blowing stuff up I'll post some pics of my bowling ball cannon or my six inch mortor ..... The cannon goes through a half pound of black powder each boom!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Never even heard of using 7018 for a root pass.. It's always 1/8 6010 and 3/32 7018 the rest of the way out. OR TIG the root and 7018 the rest... 7018 for a root is begging for problems.. Open Butt? I could see 7018 maybe if it was jam welded but that's not an excepted process

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton,Alberta.
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12R View Post
    Never even heard of using 7018 for a root pass.. It's always 1/8 6010 and 3/32 7018 the rest of the way out. OR TIG the root and 7018 the rest... 7018 for a root is begging for problems.. Open Butt? I could see 7018 maybe if it was jam welded but that's not an excepted process
    The last vessel shop my son worked at did not have one stick of any '10 rod in the house. He roll welded 7018 root,hot,fill and cap all day long. The shop test was 2"sch 80 in 6G,open root.

    It can and is being done. Bob.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

    I got some down time today. I'm gone weld two pieces of four inch sch 80 all the way out with 7018. Cause the dr. Has only ever failed one welding test before ......::: the dreaded random downhill open cup.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Prince george, bc
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Here in bc in our last year of school we have to do a procedure that uses 9018 open root on pipe and plate and also the same with stainless 309 rod. Hard to figure out but once you got its not to bad. I know of a few steam lines around here that are using the 9018 procedure.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

    I did it it wasn't to hard really but it does weld better with a bigger gap than I thought I washed in a nice 1/8 root on my second try 118 amps pipe got pretty hot I still think at least in america we will keep using the 8010 or 6010 root but I do see a slight advantage to the 7018 root it will be low hydrogen. Inspectors and engineers love that. I guess the weld would be more ductile also it may hold up better under vibration and twisting and bouncing around ..now I got it fairly quickly but I'm not an average Weldor either .. Not trying to brag but I do not think to many welders I know who could weld a 7018 root day in day out and pass X-ray

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton,Alberta.
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drpipe View Post
    I did it it wasn't to hard really but it does weld better with a bigger gap than I thought I washed in a nice 1/8 root on my second try 118 amps pipe got pretty hot I still think at least in america we will keep using the 8010 or 6010 root but I do see a slight advantage to the 7018 root it will be low hydrogen. Inspectors and engineers love that. I guess the weld would be more ductile also it may hold up better under vibration and twisting and bouncing around ..now I got it fairly quickly but I'm not an average Weldor either .. Not trying to brag but I do not think to many welders I know who could weld a 7018 root day in day out and pass X-ray
    Maybe you could back that up with the xray report on todays coupon?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

    Mabye I could....:: are you kidding I was screwing around at work using rod and pipe for another job..... I am arrogant but not stupid I think asking the company to fork out 250 dollars for nothing. A useless X-ray would be insane ... I am more than sure when I said it would shoot **** you can see the root it's flawless so that's the hard part the rest is just normal welding which I do flawlessly each and everyday

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I haven't picked up a stinger since 1987! The last pipe job I ever worked that wasn't all TIG. I've always said any man that welds stick day in and day out has my respect. I can honestly and somewhat shamefully admit to being spoiled with TIG work. Somehow I can always find a TIG job that needs my attention in the nick of time before picking up a stinger and putting my big boy boots back on. At 48 and a jacked up back with 3 surgeries behind me already my days of pipe work are done since these doctors advise me to not lift over 20 pounds!! For the love of God what man can live under such restraints? Although speaking of Alberta my lovely wife is from there and we are thinking of moving up there in the next year or so that she can spend time with her parents before they pass away since mine are gone already. Point of telling that is I'm going to relocate my fab business up there with me and have wondered about certifications for being an accredited shop up there. Most of my work is race car and motorcycle custom work so beside dealing with getting my work across the border constantly it really don't matter much where I hang my welding hood as long as there's a phone and UPS.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton,Alberta.
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drpipe View Post
    Mabye I could....:: are you kidding I was screwing around at work using rod and pipe for another job..... I am arrogant but not stupid I think asking the company to fork out 250 dollars for nothing. A useless X-ray would be insane ... I am more than sure when I said it would shoot **** you can see the root it's flawless so that's the hard part the rest is just normal welding which I do flawlessly each and everyday
    Humble to the very end, aren't you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.