Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

Hey all just wondering what kind of practical weld testing you all have to go through out there to get your journeymans ?

Guess it linda depends on who you apprentised with in years and documented schooled apprentiship training you already have.

If you have a red seal, then its just a basic test at GRB welding

Best to contact N.A.I.T
    Last edited by cruizer; 06-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.

So the Alberta provincial gov requires no practical test before allowing the red seal ?

Here in NL we have to weld:

- 6" sch 80 pipe in the 6 g 7018 root,hot,fill and cap, 3/32 for the root and hot 1/8 for the rest. 2 roots and 2 face bends with the option for the inspectors to do all root bends. If they open you go home, and get to go back to school for 7 weeks...

- 4 inch, sch 40, 5G, tig root 3/32 7018 hot and cap passes. All root bends. They open you go home...

- 2gf flux core CWB plate. Side bends on stop starts, again they open and you get to go home...

- 10 inch long, 1/8x2 (width and thickness of pieces) t joint with mig overhead and vert down

- A cutting test on 3/8" plate cutting circles, guided bevels and arcs also some other free hand cuts.

I honestly thought Alberta had a practical of some sort ?

Default Alberta Journeymans pratical test ?

In the beguining of your post you said a 3/32 7018 root ...... Now I've done a 7018 root but it is nothing pretty or in my mind very good why don't you guys burn 8010 or 6010 roots or a tig root and 7018 or 8018 weld out ..... I don't understand the benefit of a 7018 root

3 year apprenticeship before you test practical and theory. If your thinking of working out here (surprise) and have your red seal,you won't need to test, just show your cert.

drpipe when done right a 7018 root leaves a nice bead inside the pipe. The reason its done on test day over 6010 or 11 is because its harder to do.

Cornerstone As for me going out there to work and it being a "suprize" well I don't know what you mean there, I don't plan on it. My buddy went out there as an apprentice pipefitter and has gotten nowhere with it in 6 years only a second year.
    I on the otherhand have managed to do my first 9 month course and all my hours in that time. Im just waiting on the results of my Red Seal exam. And my buddy is on his way home to try and get his hours.

The reason im asking about your journeymans practical exam is because there are a lot of rumours around here and just wanted to see what is true....

I thought I had a link to the Alberta test but I can't find it at the moment, here is the Saskatchewan test:
    http://www.saskapprenticeship.ca/Fil...?entry_id=6374
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Red Seal is across Canada, though you'll still have to do a practical bend test and or pipe test for what ever procedure the company you apply to requires.

i don't think there will be any 7018 root here, thats kinda unheard of. It'll be STT or 6010.

As for your Pipefitter buddy, he more than likely didn't do the required yearly courses, instead stayed on site to make more money. No yearly course then no advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie_1986 View Post
    drpipe when done right a 7018 root leaves a nice bead inside the pipe. The reason its done on test day over 6010 or 11 is because its harder to do.

Cornerstone As for me going out there to work and it being a "suprize" well I don't know what you mean there, I don't plan on it. My buddy went out there as an apprentice pipefitter and has gotten nowhere with it in 6 years only a second year.
    I on the otherhand have managed to do my first 9 month course and all my hours in that time. Im just waiting on the results of my Red Seal exam. And my buddy is on his way home to try and get his hours.

The reason im asking about your journeymans practical exam is because there are a lot of rumours around here and just wanted to see what is true....
    Re:"surprise". Lots of fellas from east coast and Nfld working out here...ever since oilsands were developed and fisheries dried up. Just a remark, not a smart... one.
    Bob.

I know the red seal is across canada... So other than that you guys have no practical test before you're allowed to take it ? We take our practical first if you fail you dont even get to try the red seal.

As for my pipefitter buddy, well hes a meat head and he'd probably do just what you said cruizer.

Cornerstone didnt really take it as a smart remark, didnt really know how to take it, some people can be jerks just thought id get some clarity on what you meant. Some people I have talked to online about work out there have been less than plesant.

So after an Alberta apprentice finishes their hours and blocks of training all they have to do is complete the red seal to be a journeyperson ?

The reason im asking is around here I have heard some people say Alberta's apprenticeship is lacking. I cant see how that could be with all the trades work you guys have.. Again other people saying this not me im just here trying to see what the differences are in the systems. I dont want this to turn into a bash fest either thats not what I started this for. Just here to learn how the west does it, I might even come out of it with a few suggestions for our apprenticeship coordinator.

Thanks guys

Darryl