Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default back welding pipe procedure

Anybody work where there is such a thing.... I know that if you need to back weld something it should be done before the fill .... But every once in a while even a good pipe welder will get a lil. Ip. In a root .... No if you've already welded it out I see no reason to grind through a weld to touch up an 1/8 inch of ip on the root when you can reach inside and get it..... Well there was a new qc around today. And we went round and round about this. I hate to say it but some of the welders I work with need to back weld to make it we were told to cut out four welds because they had touch ups .... I being the golden crusader of welding that I am I jumped to there defense. I stated ( hey qc dude you want this guy to grind through a good cap and dig down to a root on schedule forty pipe. That's bullshi. T cause it's so thin even backwelding heats it up enough to blue the cap so it's getting a even temp all the way threw. ). I say if you can see it backwelding it. No wonder gas costs so much with all this bull going on day in and day out .... So yeah I can't believe we would need to make a backwelding procedure that will probably cost us ten grand or more. Any thoughts pipers

are you talking about fixing a defect or doing the root by back welding the i.d. butt weld, i worked for a company in ventura, calif, vetco was its name before combustion engineering bought them out. the procedure we had to follow was to weld up the pipe butt joints by first welding the inside, complete, all the way around, then back grind it clean from the out side, then run a stick pass over the ground root, then put the sub arc to it, these were pipes from 16 to 30 inch dia. with up to a 4 inch wall, i should also mention the pipes were set up on electric rollers where speed could be controlled. they had to pass xray, mag and ut, if a defect was found in the root, fixing it was done from the inside

i never heard ''backwelding'' like that. When we use that term it is when we have screwed forged steel threaded joints that leak. Then we ''backweld'' instead of disassembling. Just weld over the threads.

Back welding means to weld inside the pipe to touch up your root pass

its been a few years, i dont think that it is done any different now, most of the larger pipe used in off shore oil exploration is welded that way, and i must emphasize large pipe, in the shop, not out in the field

back whe i was younger and had less gut i was the backweld man on 15" or bigger pipe. they would send me down the pipe with a flashlight to inspect the weld for defects .whe i fould a defect they would pull me out and send the lead in and then i would follow with a rope tied to my feet. i never did like small places and being inside a 60' joint of 15" pipe wasn't fun . but i was the smallest one that was certified so i got the job.the best part was i got promoted to foreman for doing all the dirty dangerouse work.

im not pipe welder by any means, but couple years ago i landed a job welding casing pipe for outfit boring under a bridge. the first weld i made was with .045 211 wire which i didnt think would cut it and it didnt. so i cleaned it out and got my 232 innershield .072 and zipped it up. they turned the boring machine on and that auger made that casing jump and buck like a bronco. the weld held on just fine and we did it again. the casing was 3' in diameter and depending on fit it took from 20-60 minutes to make each weld. their welder would use 7018 and run downhill and his welds constantly broke. my fastest one took 20 minutes.

Wire puts welders out of work ... I don't like it it's to fast and to easy to run **** if one journeyman set up all the machines helpers could pull the triggers..... Just saying

there is nothing worst to build than the first pipe to hit the ocean floor, usually its a 40 footer, half inch wall, some times a little larger, 16 inch dia., with a connector on one end and a concrete shoe on the other, the shoe is a formed piece of steel the same dia. as the pipe, the outer end is rounded off, it has a hole in the center, about as big as your fist, if i remember correctly, there is a flapper in the hole, and the whole thing is filled with concrete, leaving enough pipe exposed for the welding, ya gotta climb into this thing, drag the lead, enough rods, hood, gloves,ect, forgot to mention, the shoe is tacked onto the pipe first, then the welder climbs in to back weld the joint, once you are in there, your partner will set up an exhaust fan in the end that you crawled in, you have no light, ya weld by feel, and ya yell out for the pipe to be rolled during the welding, and these things would go to xray, couldnt do it now, too fat to fit

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    there is nothing worst to build than the first pipe to hit the ocean floor, usually its a 40 footer, half inch wall, some times a little larger, 16 inch dia., with a connector on one end and a concrete shoe on the other, the shoe is a formed piece of steel the same dia. as the pipe, the outer end is rounded off, it has a hole in the center, about as big as your fist, if i remember correctly, there is a flapper in the hole, and the whole thing is filled with concrete, leaving enough pipe exposed for the welding, ya gotta climb into this thing, drag the lead, enough rods, hood, gloves,ect, forgot to mention, the shoe is tacked onto the pipe first, then the welder climbs in to back weld the joint, once you are in there, your partner will set up an exhaust fan in the end that you crawled in, you have no light, ya weld by feel, and ya yell out for the pipe to be rolled during the welding, and these things would go to xray, couldnt do it now, too fat to fit
    sounds like what i used to do but it was in the shop .i had to yell out for them to role the pipe . those was the fun days.