Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default first half ass welding rig and job.

I'm 15 and have got an 85 Chevy half ton with my welder in the back grinder basic hand tool. I am working on getting an oxy acel setup too, I have got a job set up in August to help together some parts of a peat moss plant. Being 15 here in Alberta I only have my learners not full driver lincense so we will run the truck out to the job and I will get a ride to and from I was just wondering how old some of you pros where when you first had your first big job and such?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by snoopee View Post
    I'm 15 and have got an 85 Chevy half ton with my welder in the back grinder basic hand tool. I am working on getting an oxy acel setup too, I have got a job set up in August to help together some parts of a peat moss plant. Being 15 here in Alberta I only have my learners not full driver lincense so we will run the truck out to the job and I will get a ride to and from I was just wondering how old some of you pros where when you first had your first big job and such?
    may want do edit your post title to "half-fast" so you do not upset the moderator and cause you post to disapear....

nice rig btw... should get the job done just fine

kudos on your ambition and drive.......
    Last edited by H80N; 06-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Agreed, nice unit. A cheap way to outfit a half ton,, and I did it,,, was to use any oxygen bottle and a 20 or 30# lp and used set of torches. I still use this setup on one of my work trucks for convenience, small size and weight, a 125 bottle would be as good or better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Years ago I ran a TB301 out of the back of the rustiest disreputable looking 4x4 Dakota PU... was bug ugly [] but ran super and got the job done just fine.... no shame in looks.... plenty of time for pretty later...

It is all about the quality of your WORK..... not the look of your rig....
    Last edited by H80N; 06-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Years ago I ran a TB301 out of the back of the rustiest disreputable looking 4x4 Dakota PU... was bug ugly [] but ran super and got the job done just fine.... no shame in looks.... plenty of time for pretty later...

It is all about the quality of your WORK..... not the look of your rig....

Hey Did you ever take a pic of that setup? I've always wondered if I could put a trailblazer on the back of my 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport 4WD.

You can haul a welder in a light truck but soon the issue is extra weight and space. Especially for guys starting out there is often a tendency to carry everything they own and if a guy is doing general work usually other tools besides a welding machine are required, it adds up fast even with a 500# machine. Set of bottles, some leads, clamps, wrenches, hammers, a jack or 2 and cum along, toss on a box of rod, etc, pretty soon this truck is loaded.

If I was going to operate out of a light truck today in a general environment I would likely,, if I had to,, have a portable and the leads on a trailer and everything else on the pickup with a Maxstar. Haul all this every mile driven, use it or not on a light truck, works for a while but soon crush box cross members, spring hangers tear out, shocks, springs over loaded, even my light 250, I carry 1500 or so on icontinuousus feels it after a while.

At one time just before the big crisis there were plans to add optional power to pickups, anyone heard any more about this? It was proposed to add about 4500$ or so but 14K auk power. With inverter welder this would have really chopped weight and space, would have been worth the cost in many cases. Leave a guy a little wiggle room to drive air pump.

I am thinking new truck, looks about like I would have to order one or have my dealer score one from another downstate lot where they deal in trucks. I want heavor3/4 ot 1 t with ext cab and long box, something that could tow some and tolerate a ton of parasitic load living on it without feeling like I am driving a loaded truck.

All i have setup on the truck now is a wrench set small rachet set some levels, sqaures, 4 1/2inch grinder, the welder, a box of 1/8 7018 and a box of 1/8 6011. and 35 feet of lead. would be nice to have longer leads but thats all that came with the welder when i bought it. cant afford more leads. but it has big 3/0 leads on it

I think maybe a good place to look for a little lead might be Craig's list, I see some AC welders go for cheap where the lead is worth more than the machine, re sell the welder. I actually did that a while back, bought a welder at an auction I was at, sold the machine and kept the lead. I had enough to slide by and wouldn't have bought new to store on the shelf but the price was right and its kind of insurance security blanket to have a couple extra long chunks around to outfit a machine if needed. If I was young starting out I would learn to scrounge and be a power collector, learn to take broken bolts out of stuff people abandoned, ha.

I need to be a better shopper, but I have seen guys get nice looking working torch sets with bottles for 150-300$. My neighbor got his for 225.

thanks sberry i never thought of looking for a small buzzbox and just take the leads. i have got all the regulators and torch well a basic start up kit for 150 bucks new and i am going to rent the big oxy acel tanks.

I buy all your guys stolen leads. I actually feel like a punk when I do it but I go around to.scrap yards and offer them so much money over the scrap price and they jump on it. Sometimes they dont have any worth buying but other times I have gotten brand new leads with brand new tweco ends on them.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com